Since Sept. 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day, this themed quiz is about the artists whose chart success expired once they reached the 15-minute mark. As many of you know, there is no concrete definition of what constitutes a one-hit wonder. For this quiz, the criteria I used is any performer who recorded only one song that reached the U.S. Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 and is best known for that one song.
If you are a Pop Culture Trivia virgin about to be touched for the very first time, please read all the rules before taking the quiz:
* Along with the Internet, the use of books, magazines, notes, data stored on a computer, etc. to help you come up with the answers is not allowed.
* Please read the questions carefully. For example, if you mistakenly give a performer's name instead of the movie/TV show, the answer will be marked as incorrect.
* If you give a final answer along the lines of "If it isn't Haircut 100, it's Timbuk 3", it will be marked as incorrect.
* Unless I ask for the correct spelling, you won't lose points for any misspellings as long as I can decipher your answer. If I have no idea what you mean, I'll email you for verification. If I don't hear from you, your answer will be marked as incorrect.
* It's best to provide the full name/title of an answer if you know it. However, for TV series, movies, people, etc. that are often referred to by a shortened name/abbreviation, that shortened name/abbreviation is acceptable (unless I specifically ask for the complete name/title).
* Billboard-related questions will always refer to the U.S. charts.
* If you are the only player to get a particular question correct, you earn 5 bonus points
* Please do not post your answers in the comments section. Instead, send them to email@example.com no later than Friday, October 8th at 11:59 PM EST.
* To make it easier for me to add up your score, please cut and paste the game into the body of an email and type your answers after the point value of each question. The answers (along with the names of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers) will be posted on Saturday October 9th.
1. With an opening that includes a sound simulating a breaking surfboard, a maniacal cackle, and an exclamation of the song's title, what 1963 instrumental hit has been featured in such films as Dirty Dancing and Meet the Parents? 2 pts
2. Buckner & Garcia were a one-hit wonder in 1982 with a song that detailed their fever for what video game, which made it into The Guinness Book of World Records as "Most Successful Coin-Operated Game"? 2 pts
3. The following lyrics are from what song? 3 pts
I see de dance people had a ball
'Coz she really want to skip town
Get back, Gruffy, back, Scruffy
Get back you flea infested mongrel
4. Which one of the following one-hit wonders is not a female? 6 pts
a. Charlie Dore (Pilot of the Airwaves)
b. Robin Ward (Wonderful Summer)
c. Jann Arden (Insensitive)
d. Kris Jensen (Torture)
5. The screen cap below is from what music video? 6 pts
6. What are the first names of Biz Markie's four female friends that he mentions in the lyrics to his hit "Just A Friend"? 3 pts each
7. In the music video for "Pop Goes the Weasel" by 3rd Bass, which one of the following performers portrays Vanilla Ice? 6 pts
a. Brian Austin Green
b. Henry Rollins
c. Crispin Glover
d. Anthony Kiedis
8. Born on September 22 1943, Antonia Christina Basilotta is better known by what stage name? 2 pts
9. What is the title of this recording artist's only top 40 hit? 5 pts
10. Which one of the following future legends was a member of The Teddy Bears, who reached #1 in 1958 with their only hit, "To Know Him Is To Love Him"? 6 pts
a. Berry Gordy
b. Carole King
c. Clive Davis
d. Phil Spector
11. Name Droppings- Below are famous people mentioned in the lyrics of 5 "one-hit wonder" songs. You have to correctly identify the song. The year the song hit its peak position on the Billboard Hot 100 is in parentheses after the famous name(s). Each of these are worth 3 pts
a. Johnny Ray- (1983)
b. Cypress Hill- (1995)
c. Sid and Nancy- (2001)
d. Smokey Robinson- (1967)
e. Bogie and Bacall- (1982)
12. The photo below is of what band? 5 pts
13. The lyrics of the 1973 Clint Holmes song "Playground in My Mind" mention which type of "shiny and new" coin? 5 pts
14. What 5 musical instruments are mentioned in the lyrics of the Vicki Sue Robinson tune "Turn the Beat Around"? 2 pts each
Note: Percussion is not an acceptable answer
15. The screen cap below is from what music video? 15 pts