Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chart Toppers: Get Back by The Beatles w/ Billy Preston

On this day back in 1969, The Beatles were enjoying their 17th #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 with the driving rocker Get Back. One of my favorite songs to "air drum" along to, Get Back is unique because it's the only Beatles 45 that credited another artist... keyboardist Billy Preston (although they earlier shared billing with singer Tony Sheridan on his own single My Bonnie).

Below is a clip of the Beatles w/ Billy Preston during their legendary Apple building rooftop concert performing Get Back. Due to a complaint about the noise lodged by Stephen King (an accountant from the nearby Royal Bank of Scotland), the police shut the concert down about 40 minutes into the show. This was to be the Beatles' final public performance. I wonder if Mr. King later put 2 and 2 together and figured out who it was making all that rooftop noise.

2 comments:

David Stock said...

Get Back is one of my favorite Beatles songs. How I wish I saw this performance live.

Malcolm said...

David: I can't even put it into words how it would have felt if I was able to have seen that performance live. One thing that I hope happens eventually is that the movie "Let It Be" gets an official DVD release.

Thanks for visiting.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->