Monday, August 24, 2009

Final Results of the John Hughes Poll

With just over 1/3 of the vote, the "Citizen Kane of teen flicks" (The Breakfast Club) came in 1st in the recent poll where I asked you to choose your favorite John Hughes film.

Although that came as no surprise to me, there were a couple of things that did catch me off guard. The first was the fact that the John Hughes-penned Some Kind of Wonderful (starring Eric Stolz, Lea Thompson, and Mary Stuart Masterson) tossed up a goose egg in the poll. As I think about it, Some Kind doesn't seem to get much mention when people talk about teen films of the 80s. Although not great, I think it was a solid effort with a few twists that made it "not another teen movie".


The other surprise for me was that John Hughes' first directorial attempt at adult-oriented fare (Planes, Trains & Automobiles) only received 1 vote. Although it wasn't what we'd come to expect from John Hughes, I think it's one of his best movies and features one of the great onscreen odd couples in Steve Martin & John Candy. Plus, how can you deny Candy swerving all over the freeway late at night as he jams to Ray Charles' Mess Around?



Here are the final results of the poll:

The Breakfast Club- 34%
Ferris Bueller's Day Off- 23%
Sixteen Candles- 19%
Uncle Buck- 15%
Pretty In Pink- 11%
Home Alone- 7%
Weird Science- 3%
Planes, Trains & Automobiles and She's Having A Baby- 1%
Some Kind of Wonderful and "Other"- 0%

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually love "Some Kind Of Wonderful" it pulls third after Breakfast club and ferris Bueller.
But I was never fond of Planes, trains and automobiles.

Malcolm said...

Regina: It's been years since I've seen "Some Kind of Wonderful". Maybe I'll have an 80s theme movie night and rent it.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->