Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Retro Mix Playlist For 9/17/10


Show Theme: One-hit wonders of the 50s and 60s

6 pm hour

Cool Jerk- The Capitols
School Is In- Gary "U.S." Bonds
Sea Cruise- Frankie Ford
The Martian Hop- The Ran Dells
Love Is Strange- Mickey & Sylvia
So Fine- The Fiestas
The Birds and the Bees- Jewel Akens
Mockingbird- Inez & Charlie Foxx
Hallelujah, I Love Her So- Ray Charles
Girl Watcher- The O'Kaysions
Baby Come Back- The Equals

Double Retro segment:
Nobody But Me- The Human Beinz (recorded in 1967)
Nobody But Me- The Isley Brothers (orig. version recorded in 1962)

Born Too Late- The Poni Tails
Earth Angel- The Penguins
My Babe- The Righteous Brothers
Come On Down To My Boat- Every Mother's Son
Sunshine Girl- Parade
Tell Him- The Exciters
Willie and the Hand Jive- The Johnny Otis Show
My Lover's Prayer- Otis Redding

7 pm hour

Black Is Black- Los Bravos
Killer Joe- The Rocky Fellers
Shake- Sam Cooke
High School U.S.A.- Tommy Facenda
Mr. Lee- The Bobbettes
Doggin' Around- Jackie Wilson
Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead- The Fifth Estate
I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman- Whistling Jack Smith
Friday On My Mind- The Easybeats
Bongo Rock- Preston Epps
Mother-In-Law- Ernie K-Doe

The Guestbook segment::
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away- The Silkie (produced by John Lennon and featuring Paul McCartney on guitar and George Harrison on tambourine)

Next Plane To London- The Rose Garden
Yakety Yak- The Coasters
Talk Talk- The Music Machine
Hey Joe- The Leaves
Summer In the City- The Lovin' Spoonful
Love Makes the World Go 'Round- Deon Jackson
I Wanna Love Him So Bad- The Jelly Beans
Pretty Little Angel Eyes- Curtis Lee
I Like It Like That- Chris Kenner
Rock Around with Ollie Vee- Buddy Holly

All one-hit wonders the rest of the way...
8 pm hour-

California Sun- The Rivieras
Good Old Rock & Roll- Cat Mother & the All Night Newsboys
Don't You Just Know It- Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns
Happy, Happy Birthday Baby- The Tune Weavers
Smoky Places- The Corsairs
Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)- The Hombres
She's the One- The Chartbusters
Pipeline- The Chantays
Heart and Soul- The Cleftones
Baby It's You- Smith
Green Tambourine- The Lemon Pipers
Silhouettes- The Rays
Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)- Barry Man
Farmer John- The Premiers
Shape of Things To Come- Max Frost & the Troopers
Keep On Dancing- The Gentrys
Sally Go 'Round the Roses- The Jaynettes
One Summer Night- The Danleers
Ooh Poo Pah Doo- Jessie Hill
Little Girl- The Syndicate of Sound
Foot Stompin'- The Flares
(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet- The Blues Magoos

The Retro Mix Video of the Week: Baby It's You by Smith (from The Leslie Uggams Show)

5 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I've always loved Rock Around With Ollie Vee. Such a great track. There are some unusual tracks on your playlist.;)

B.J. said...

You’ve got me singing these greal old songs! (Mickey and Sylvia, indeed!) I have eclectic tastes in movies, music, books. Of the 2,000 movies in my home film library, all your faves are there, including “Clerks” and “Heathers,” Enjoyed the playlists. BJ at DemWit

Malcolm said...

LL Cool Joe: "Rock Around with Ollie Vee" is one of my fave Buddy Holly tunes. I discovered it via a Buddy Holly "best of" I had on cassette back in the 80s.

I think the "one-hit wonder" aspect made this show playlist a little more unusual than normal. As a heads up, this coming Friday I am doing one-hit wonders from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

B.J.: Earlier this year, I watched "Clerks" for the first time in years. It still holds up. "Heathers" has also stood the test of time.

Since you love eclectic music, you'd probably enjoy my show. If you are ever near a computer from 6 to 9 pm EST, you can tune in online by visiting the
following URL and clicking on the "Listen" link at the top of the page.

http://216.66.69.140:6232/

Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Hey Bulldog. I mean Malcolm.

I'd almost forgotten that song and my sister had the original album. Played that song constantly and I never got tired of it.

Nice blog and continued success to you.

Malcolm said...

AT 101: Thanks for stopping by and props for getting the "Hey Bulldog" reference at the top of my comment box. It's one of my favorite Beatles songs and fit perfectly when I was trying to come up with a line for the comments box.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->