Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The RRHOF's Class of 2010 Has Been Announced

On Tuesday, the five acts who will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010 was announced. I have mixed feelings about the artists who made the cut. For the record, I correctly predicted 2 out of the 5 acts who would get inducted in 2010. You can read my predictions at the link below:

Final Results of RRHOF Poll

If I was a baseball player, my .400 average would be good enough to win a batting title. Since I'm not, my percentage kinda sucks.

Below are the 5 acts who will be inducted in 2010:

ABBA
Jimmy Cliff
Genesis
The Hollies
The Stooges

and here are the 7 nominees who didn't make the cut:

The Chantels
KISS
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Donna Summer

Even though I would have passed over ABBA for the RRHOF's upcoming class, a smile came across my face when I read they were getting inducted because I am a fan. I haven't read any message boards yet, but I know people are pissed about the RRHOF voters saying I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do to ABBA while giving Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter the KISS-off. Although ABBA once turned down a billion dollar offer to get back together, I hope they will make an exception to their "no reunion" rule and at least perform a medley of their hits at the induction ceremony.

The Hollies' induction was the biggest surprise to me. Outside of a handful of their songs (such as Bus Stop, Look Through Any Window, and Carrie-Anne), they've never really done much for me. They're alright, but kinda vanilla.

As for Jimmy Cliff, Genesis, and the Stooges, I have no feelings (positive or negative) about them getting inducted. I am looking forward to seeing all five members of Genesis perform together. It will be interesting to see how they reconcile their early prog-rock sound (when Peter Gabriel was at the helm) with the mainstream pop they made during the Phil Collins era. I am also banking on Iggy Pop doing some
crazy shit during the Stooges' performance at the induction ceremony.

I was disappointed that KISS, Darlene Love, and Donna Summer won't be a part of the 2010 class. I have a feeling they (along with Laura Nyro) will fall through the cracks and never get enshrined. As for LL Cool J and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I think they are locks to get inducted somewhere down the line.

What are your thoughts on who will be inducted and who got passed by?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malcolm,

At Gene's current prices for meet and greets and appearance fees, the RRHOF ceremony probably can't afford to have KISS at the ceremony. KISS has changed the concert arena and if stage performance was the criteria, they should have been nominated. However, their music was not ground breaking.

Judi said...

What you said...
I hope Laura Nyro, Darlene Love, and Donna Summer will make the cut at some point.

pjazzypar said...

This inherently wrong on so many levels (shaking my head in disgust).

Unknown said...

Geez, how did Laura Nyro not get inducted especially with the arguably weak class that got in this year. This is very disappointing news.

I'm glad Genesis got in butI would have put Laura Nyro in before them too...

Bar L. said...

I think they need to change the name to "music" hall of fame cause there is very little rock and roll going on. I am glad The Stooges got in.

Penny said...

woohoo

Phil C!!

Candy Minx said...

I think you so well convinced me with your previous post on this topic...that I am disappointed.

I think the list of those who didn't make it this year should automatically be inducted next year!!! Donna summer should be there! And KiSS!

Richard said...

Delighted that ABBA are getting inducted.

I'm actually quite pleased about The Hollies too. They're largely forgotten these days, but were actually really good back when.

I'm actually surprised KISS haven't already been inducted. It's surely just a question of time for most of those near misses? KISS, the Chili Peppers, Donna Summer and LL Cool J are all thoroughly deserving. KISS have *got* to be inducted at some point, or else something is wrong in the world.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->