Sunday, April 22, 2007

Spin City Playlist For 4/21/07

4pm hour

Freeway of Love- Aretha Franklin
Go To Hell- Alice Cooper
Hot Girls In Love- Loverboy
I Choose You- Willie Hutch
I Don't Believe You Want To Get Up & Dance (Oops, Upside Your Head)- Gap Band
Bad Boy/Havin' A Party- Luther Vandross

On the Flip Side:
Kid Dynamo- The Buggles (B-side to Video Killed the Radio Star)

Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)- The Flirts
You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)- Sylvester
Float On- The Floaters
This Is the Day- The The
The Stand- The Alarm
Back & Forth- Cameo

5 pm hour

Tell It To My Heart- Taylor Dayne
Heavy Love- David Ruffin
Wildflower- New Birth
Dreams- Van Halen
Life During Wartime- Talking Heads
I'm On Fire- 5000 Volts

Common Thread segment- groups that include twins as members:
Rock Steady- The Whispers
A.D. 1928/Rockin' the Paradise- Styx
One- Bee Gees

Right On the Tip of My Tongue- Brenda & the Tabulations
Help Yourself- Undisputed Truth
Hyperactive- Robert Palmer

6 pm hour

Moving Out (Anthony's Song)- Billy Joel
One of the Living- Tina Turner
On the Radio- Donna Summer
She's A Beauty- The Tubes
Breakfast In America- Supertramp
Only So Much Oil In the Ground- Tower of Power
One Night In Bangkok- Murray Head
Little Red Book- Toni Basil
Funky Cold Medina- Tone Loc (from the album "Loc-ed After Dark", which was #1 on Billboard this week in 1989)
Telephone Bill- Johnny "Guitar" Watson
Back On My Feet Again- The Babys
Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)- The Delfonics
Dark Lady- Cher
What Do All the People Know- The Monroes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

4/22/07
Oops Up Side Your Head -- Oh man, this was big when I was in college. Fun song.

Kid Dynamo -- I can't believe you played that! Though not the masterpiece of the A-side, it's still a great song.

Back & Forth -- Good funk.

Tell It To My Heart -- I liked this a lot when it was popular in 1987, but it's only good for nostalgia kicks now.

Breakfast In America -- Amazing that I latched on to this album, as it's definitely not my style in general, but it was all the rage back then and I guess there was something in it that hit me. Though to my knowledge, this song was never a single, it was one of my favorites on the album. I like the beat. The album artwork on this is superb.

One Night In Bangkok -- Long ago I lost my 7" of this song, and that really ticks me off.

Funky Cold Medina -- I was a DJ when this and his first single were hot, and the kids at the skating rink begged me to play it. Due to the lyrical content I was not keen on doing so, so I only played the songs when requested and if they wanted it again, I'd say, "I already played it" -- even though I might play other really hot songs two or three times.

Back On My Feet Again -- I liked this one when it was out, but as I recall, it was never a big hit. I have the 7".

Didn't I -- This is like 1970, isn't it? It seems this song is from my elementary school days.

I always wanted to get records by The Flirts but somehow missed all but one, and I don't think I got the best one.

The The: They were on my "wanna buy" list but I never got anything by them. What kind of music?

Malcolm said...

Hello J. Lee,

Thanks for posting! The Gap Band definitely had some jams back in the day.

I recently discovered Kid Dynamo...what I would term a "buried treasure".

According to Wikipedia, Breakfast In America was released as a single and was a minor hit. Since it isn't listed in the Top Pop Singles book, my guess is that it was a minor hit on the Adult Contemporary chart. I agree with your comments about the album cover.

Isn't It Time hit #33 on the Billboard Pop chart in early 1980. Piece of trivia: the Journey song "Open Arms" was written by bandmember Jonathan Cain while he was with The Babys. Babys lead singer John Waite rejected the song, saying it was too syrupy.

You are right on the money about "Didn't I...", it came out in 1970.

For lack of a better term, I would classify The The as modern rock. You may have heard "This Is the Day" because it has been used in commercials for Docker's and M&M's.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->