Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Retro Mix Playlist For 3/13/09


One of the best parts of doing a radio show is connecting with listeners either on the phone or online via Instant Messenger. During most of last night's show, I was IMing with a listener and one thing we discussed was that his father used to have 8-tracks of Men At Work, Pink Floyd (The Wall), and Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy). Because his father had an 8-track player (but no radio) in his pickup truck, they listened to those albums quite a bit while riding in the truck. The listener added that he's since broadened his musical horizons beyond that trio of 8-tracks.

As I've mentioned, doing a radio show can be chaotic. That's one reason why last night's show stands out because it was one of those instances where everything fell into place. In order to keep chaos at a minimum, I normally put my playlists together before I do the show. If I get requests, I substitute them in place of songs I had planned on playing. Because of a very busy week and the need for a little nap time before heading to the station, I was only able to prep 3/4 of this week's show. However, several listeners helped me out by requesting tunes that I used to fill up that time. It was cool because the requests were such that it took no effort on my part to group them together in sets that made sense. For example, one set included Men At Work, Modern English, and Alanis Morissette and another one consisted of Air Supply and Gerry Rafferty. Even when my voice betrayed me briefly during the show, it came at the perfect time. At the end of my "backsell" (a technique where a DJ announces the titles and/or artists of songs they've just played) of the first four tunes in hour 2, my voice cracked a bit due to a dry throat. However, it happened just as I was saying "Losing My Religion" so I ad-libbed that I was also losing my voice. You just can't plan stuff like that.

I think I surprised the listener who requested Air Supply (he also suggested the aforementioned Overkill by Men At Work) by not only having it, but playing it as well. As I said on the air last night, one of the reasons I love doing The Retro Mix is that I get the chance to play a wide variety of music from the 70s, 80, and 90s. I can't think of anywhere else on the dial where you can hear Al Green, Mazzy Star, Air Supply, and Quiet Riot all in one show!

7 pm hour

Knock On Wood- Amii Stewart
Afternoons & Coffeespoons- Crash Test Dummies
Shake It Up- The Cars
Flying High- The Commodores
Here We Go- C & C Music Factory
Too Tight- Con Funk Shun
Work To Do- The Isley Brothers

Now & Then segment's feat. artist: The Cure
The Perfect Boy (from their 2008 EP Hypnagogic States)
Just Like Heaven (1987)

Fade Into You- Mazzy Star
You Oughta Be With Me- Al Green
Goin' Up In Smoke- Eddie Kendricks
Uptown- Prince
Tell Me- The Fabulous Thunderbirds

8 pm hour

Losing My Religion- R.E.M.
Hong Kong Garden- Siouxsie and the Banshees
Walk On the Wild Side- Lou Reed
How Long- Lipps Inc.
Let It Whip- The Dazz Band
This Is the Right Time- Lisa Stansfield
The Love I Lost- Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
Melt With You- Modern English
Overkill- Men At Work
You Learn- Alanis Morissette
Even the Nights Are Better- Air Supply
Right Down the Line- Gerry Rafferty
Bang Your Head (Metal Health)- Quiet Riot

The Retro Mix Video of the Week: Hong Kong Garden by Siouxsie and the Banshees

No comments:

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->