Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #65: Richard Pryor Quotes




Thirteen Quotes by Richard Pryor

December 1st marked what would have been Richard Pryor's 68th birthday. As a belated commemoration, I've listed 13 quotes by the man that many (including me) call the greatest stand-up comedian of all-time.

1. Upon traveling to Zimbabwe: I know how white people feel in America now, relaxed. Because when I hear the police siren, I knew they wasn't comin' after me.

2. I had to stop drinkin', cuz I got tired of waking in my car driving ninety.

3. I'd like to die like my father died... My father died fucking. My father was 57 when he died. The woman was 18. My father came and went at the same time.

4. I believe in the institution of marriage, and I intend to keep trying 'til I get it right.

5. On race relations: I don't understand what goes on some times, right, cuz here we are in this theater, we gettin' along just fine. We go outside and the shit change.

6. The way I see it, the earth is going to be here after we're dead and gone. Even if it's a polluted planet, and they messed it up. Where do they go from here - to another planet so they can mess that up too?

7. I'm not addicted to coke, i just love the way it smells

8. On trying to find his roots: I went through every phone book in Africa, and I didn't find one god damned Pryor!

9. I'm for human lib, the liberation of all people, not just black people or female people or gay people.

10. It's so much easier for me to talk about my life in front of two thousand people than it is one-to-one. I'm a real defensive person, because if you were sensitive in my neighborhood you were something to eat.

11. I never met anybody who said when they were a kid, I wanna grow up and be a critic.

12. Rosa Parks showed us all that one little person can make a whole bunch of noise without so much as a whisper. She showed the world that the color of your skin shouldn't determine what part of the bus you sit in... as you ride through life.

13. On meeting Ronald Reagan at The White House: Muthafucka looked at me like I owed him money.


Leave your link in comments so that others can visit you.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fitting tribute to a true genius.

Well done!

SJ Reidhead said...

His work was a little too risque for me, language and all, but he was a genius.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://www.thepinkflamingoblog.com/the-pink-flamingos-91st-edition-thursday-thirteen/

Chelle Y. said...

It liked him. He was so funny!

Jay said...

I loved Richard Pryor. He was amazing.

jeannie said...

Funny*Funny
thanks for the laugh...

Happy T-13

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

what a great funny list!
Thursday13

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

It's a shame he's gone. Great list!

Lori said...

God I love Richard Pryor...oh how i miss his stand up routines. Happy TT. Great list.

Anonymous said...

He's one smart pants! How did he know his father died while doing IT?

Julie said...

I loved Pryor's humor. He was an amazing man.

Janet said...

I especially loved #13 :-)

He is missed.

clnmike said...

What is annoying to me is how so called comedians now missed the boat about what he was saying and instead focused on the shock value of his words.

Who else in black comedy besides Chris rock and Dave Chappelle can you pull quotes like that from?

pjazzypar said...

Some of these were hilarious, especially #13.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->