Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Retro Mix Playlist For 2/20/09

7 pm hour

Hey Nineteen- Steely Dan
Tramp- Salt & Pepa
Hip Hop Hooray- Naughy By Nature
I Don't Love You Anymore- Teddy Pendergrass
American Girl- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Hold It Now, Hit It- The Beastie Boys
Kiss the Rain- Billie Myers

Now & Then segment's feat. artist: Tom Jones
I'm Alive (from his 2008 CD 24 Hours)
She's A Lady (1971)

Golden Years- David Bowie
Heartache All Over the World- Elton John
Virtual Insanity- Jamiroquai
Stir It Up- Patti Labelle
You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)- Sylvester

8 pm hour

My Sharona- The Knack
Walking Down Your Street- The Bangles
Knockin' Boots- Candyman
Happy- Brick
I Don't Like Mondays- The Boomtown Rats
Rain King- Counting Crows
Toy Soldiers- Martika

On the Flip Side segment:
Kid Dynamo- The Buggles (flip side to Video Killed the Radio Star)

White Wedding- Billy Idol
I'm the Leader of the Gang (I Am)- Gary Glitter
Funkdafied- Da Brat
Alligator Woman- Cameo
Christine Sixteen- Kiss
Come On Eileen- Dexy's Midnight Runners
Yankee Rose- David Lee Roth

One of the challenges about doing radio is dealing with unexpected curves that are thrown at you. Minutes before going on the air last Friday, the host of the show that precedes mine informed me that the computer wasn't working. Because I play a wide variety of music from the 70s, 80s and 90s, I rely heavily on the use of sweepers (pre-recorded station IDs on the computer) to bridge the gap between songs that wouldn't mesh because their styles are so different. Instead of doing what I might have done in the past (letting a situation that was out of my control get the best of me), I decided to have some fun and use this as an opportunity to go "on the fly". Since I didn't have the sweepers at my disposal, I had to do shorter sets and talk more than normal.

Not having a computer also meant that I had no idea what the temperature was at any given moment. When I read the weather forecast, instead of closing it by giving the current temp, I went into George Carlin mode and said that it's dark right now. I got a laugh out of it and I hope the listeners did too.

Despite the computer snafu, the show turned out fairly well. Thanks also to some loyal listeners who called in with requests that helped me fill in some holes (because I wasn't particularly motivated a couple of hours before going on the air, I only prepped about 3/4 of my show's playlist).

The Retro Mix Video of the Week: Heartache All Over the World by Elton John






2 comments:

Janet said...

Knockin' Boots...that song reminds me of driving around Orlando ... possibly Boca ... in a convertible...and I'm not sure why!

Come On Eileen ... one of my favorite songs!

Malcolm said...

Janet: Knockin' Boots is one of the most fitting "convertible" songs. It's got that groove that's perfect for cruising with the top down.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->