Tuesday, May 19, 2009

American Idol Season 8: Is The Outcome A Done Deal Like Some Think?

Kris Allen and Adam Lambert

Although I normally don't follow American Idol, I've lately become intrigued by the eventual outcome of season 8. Based on what I'd been reading, it sounded like Adam Lambert had the A.I. crown sewn up tighter than those pants he likes to wear. For most of this season, pretty much everything I've heard in relation to the contestants has been about Adam. Hell, I didn't even know the name of the other finalist (Kris Allen) until I read the recent Entertainment Weekly cover story about Adam.

Once I read the EW article, I began to think that maybe it isn't a guarantee that Adam will take the top prize. This is because the writer of the article posed the following question: can an openly gay contestant win American Idol? The thought that a gay contestant couldn't win American Idol had never occurred to me, but the writer could be on to something. Having said that, both the writer and I realize that Adam hasn't officially come out (even though he has admitted that the photos of him kissing another man are real). Some may say, "duh, of course he's gay!" However, until he confirms that he is or isn't, all we can really do is speculate.

Of course, Adam's assumed sexuality shouldn't matter; but we know it does to some people. The thing is, will it matter to enough voters to cause Adam to lose? The question posed by the EW writer makes me now wonder about Clay Aiken's surprising (to me anyways) loss to Ruben Studdard during season 2. Don't get me wrong, I think Ruben was a deserving winner. However, all the buzz I was hearing led me to believe that Clay had the title in the bag. Since I don't remember, I'm depending on you longtime A.I. fans to answer a couple of questions for me. Were there rumors about Clay's sexuality when he was a contestant on A.I? If so, do you think the rumors kept him from winning?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out how the season finale of A.I. plays out. For the record, I think Adam is going to win. Even though I feel that he fucked up Steppenwolf's biker anthem Born To Be Wild, I'm going with the buzz factor that surrounds him. Plus, his slowed down rendition of Tears For Fears' Mad World was superb. Even if Kris Allen does prevail, it may not have anything to do with viewers reluctant to vote for an assumed gay contestant. The EW writer also raised an interesting point when he said that voters generally prefer that A.I. contestants be humble (which could play in Kris' favor).

Do you think it's a lock that Adam Lambert will be crowned "American Idol"? If he loses, will it be due to his assumed sexuality or because of the "humble Kris" factor?

8 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'm sure Adam will win, he's the most annoying of the batch.

BeckEye said...

"However, until he confirms that he is or isn't, all we can really do is speculate."

This just annoys me to no end. I usually love EW, but I hated that article. Pretty much the whole thing was about is he/isn't he gay. We see photos of straight celebs kissing all the time, but none of them ever have to come out and say, "Hey, I'm straight! Your suspicions are confirmed!" If there are a gazillion pics of Adam kissing another dude, with tongue, he's at least bi. He doesn't have to confirm anything. I liked his answer when he was first asked about the pics - "It is what it is." 'Nuff said.

And why wouldn't we be ready for a gay American Idol? It's not like the entertainment industry is full of straight folks.

Jessica said...

Yeah, he is annoying...and I'm thinking he will win too. I just don't think he's that great...I feel like I may be the only one.

The Rock Chick said...

I'm torn between the two. Adam is by far the better showman and has better vocal range and skill than Kris does. I, however, don't care all that much for his interpretation of songs nor do I care for his screaming. Kris is more my style, but he's not somebody I'd run out and buy tickets to see either.

I think Kris stands a chance in this because he is so different from Adam, not because Adam is gay. In fact, my gay friends all like Kris Allen. I'm thinking the Danny Gokey voters would tend to lean toward Kris more than Adam. There was less than a million votes separating Kris and Adam last week.

Personally, I think Adam would be better off not winning and not being stuck having to record the typical sappy song the Idols release. He will go places either way.

Unknown said...

Malcolm, you're not the only one who was surprised that Clay didn't win that year. Actually I think he did win, but I guess I'm a conspiracy theorist, heh.

Adam should win. I don't like him at all but he's much better than Kris. I think Danny Gokey would have made it a better finale but the case was closed after Paula's stupid pick for Gokey and Kris doing "Heartless."

Malcolm said...

Mistress of the D: lol. If Adam does win, I wonder if some of the past AI losers will say, "that's not fair, I was just as annoying as he was!"

BeckEye: Just to be clear, I don't think Adam has to answer any questions regarding his sexuality. I like how he responded to the TMZ reporter who said, "So, you could be the first...". I was surprised that the EW article focused so much on Adam's sexuality. I am looking forward to seeing what the readers have to say about the article in the Letters section.

Jessica: Do you think that Adam's "greatness" is being overstated by his fans because he's not the typical AI contestant?

The Rock Chick: I heard that the voting was pretty tight last week. I agree with you that Adam is going places win or lose.

Jason: Ooh, I love a good conspiracy theory. I was willing to bet money on Clay taking the AI crown that year.

pjazzypar said...

Annoying is right Mistress! I really wasn't surprised that Kris won tonight because Idol is known for its upsets (remember Clay Aiken). In fact in my opinion, only the first and third season had undisputed winners. Anyhow, Adam will probably be as big as Daughtry (NOT).

Candy Minx said...

Urp...I LOVE Adam! I was sad to see he lost night, but I was pretty sure he wwas too alternative to win.

I think Allen is a terrific singer too...just not my style.

I loved this post and wish I had seen it sooner Malcolm...I am late to the party!

I love glam rock and show appeal....and goth music so I just want to qualify that Adam is closer to a style of entertaining and music I like.

All the top 12 were really talented and sweet seeming kids!

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->