Monday, August 25, 2008

Final Results of Steven Bochco Poll

In a victory that I find stunning, the ABC dramedy that introduced many of us to Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, M.D.) was voted as your favorite Steven Bochco production. It's not that I didn't like Doogie Howser, M.D.... quite the contrary. Just as many of you did, Doogie Howser, M.D. was one of the shows that I watched regularly when it aired Wednesday nights on ABC. What surprised me is that it soundly defeated Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, and N.Y.P.D. Blue; shows that not only were popular with the Emmy voters, but viewers as well.

Since Steven Bochco was the brains behind several series, I chose to include the "Other" option instead of listing them all. As suspected, there were people (two to be exact) who inquired about Bochco's legendary misfire Cop Rock. One person was kidding, the other person apparently wasn't because there was 1 vote for "Other".

Given the love that people still have for Doogie Howser, M.D., it's disappointing that it doesn't show up in reruns more. Thankfully, Hulu.com has the entire series available to watch on their website so we don't have to wait around for some cable channel to do the right thing. I've watched a couple of episodes earlier this year and found that it's aged fairly well.

Here are the final results:

Doogie Howser, M.D.- 44%
Hill Street Blues- 23%
L.A. Law- 17%
N.Y.P.D. Blue- 11%
Other- 2%

Since there was a lack of Doogie Howser clips on You Tube, I had to settle for including the opening credits sequence.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went with LA Law. Remember when Rosalynd Shays fell down the elevator shaft? (hahaha)

LA Law was the most creative show based on lawyers. With all of the knockoffs that have since come and gone, it remains the best in my book.

www.mamapj.com

Jessica said...

Aw, that opening brought back memories. I had forgotten some of the people that were in that show.

This weekend I watched Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo Bay. NPH plays himself...very funny! :)

Candy Minx said...

Interesting...

I am looking forward to checking out his new show next month. I am over all excited about the fall tv schedule. The trailers for his new legal drama look pretty good.

Thembi Ford said...

Wow listening to that theme some really brought back memories! Hes more adorable now than ever.

Now I feel badly that I joked about Cop Rock when it's clearly someone's fave.

Malcolm said...

Thriving Holly: Because it was in the days before Internet spoilers and stuff, Rosalind going down the elevator shaft caught me totally off guard. Since it was the first legal show to break the mold of lawyers being perfect and winning nearly all their cases, "L.A. Law" is tops for me too. I wish that my cable channel had the AmericanLife TV Network because I think they are the only ones who are airing "L.A. Law".

Jessica: I've been meaning to see the Harold and Kumar movies. One of the reasons is because I heard that NPH is hilarious in both of them.

Candy: I just found out that Bochco's new series "Raising the Bar" premieres tomorrow night at 10. I set a reminder so that I don't miss it.

Thembi: I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since the debut of "Doogie Howser, M.D.". Don't feel bad about your "Cop Rock" crack... the person who voted for it may have did it just to be different. :-)

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->