Friday, August 1, 2008

Old School Fridays: Motown

The theme for Old School Fridays this week focuses on the label originally known as The Sound of Young America. However, I think it has evolved to become the Sound of Damned Near Everyone. Although I know that they exist somewhere, you will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like even just a little Motown.

The artist that I chose to spotlight is one that sometimes gets overlooked when people talk about Motown, The Marvelettes. Although they slipped down Berry Gordy's priority ladder once The Supremes rose to prominence, the Marvelettes still managed to churn out top-notch material throughout the 1960s. Below is a clip of them performing their late 1964/early 1965 hit Too Many Fish In the Sea on the Detroit-based music variety series Teen Town.

This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine. The rules are simple:

1. Anyone can participate; any music genre

2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999

3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version

4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane

5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out

6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants

If you want to join in on the fun, click here.



4 comments:

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Yes, they got shoved to the background after Barry saw Diana, and it was real shame too.

Did you happen to see Dreamgirls???

pjazzypar said...

Classic stuff! The Marvelettes before Wanda took over lead duties.

Old School Fridays said...

Marvelettes are popular this week. There were so many girl groups other than the Supremes, and I think people forget. I love this song, as well.

Happy OSF! See you next week...

Malcolm said...

Pop Art Diva: I haven't seen Dreamgirls yet... it's on my list of movies to see though.

By the way, I didn't realize that your avatar was animated... I was mesmerized for a few moments as I watched Elvis and other things pop out of your head.

Pjazzy: I thought about mentioning the distinct Marvelettes eras (Gladys vs. Wanda singing lead), but it either slipped my mind or I was a bit lazy. I forget which. :-)

Mrs. Grapevine: I agree. Considering that the Marvelettes had a wealth of quality material, it's a shame that you only hear just a few on oldies radio these days.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->