Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #52: What's the Name of That Song?


Thirteen Songs Whose Titles Are Not In the Lyrics

Below are examples of 13 songs whose titles do not appear in the lyrics. When I originally came up with the idea for this T13, I was going to give the song titles, the artists, and sample lyrics. During lunch today I decided to make a game of it and therefore omitted the song titles. Without using the Internet to find the answers, how many of these songs can you identify? Unlike other trivia quizzes that I post, you can go ahead and put your answers in the comments section for this one. On Friday I will update this post to include the song titles for each song.

Here is the updated post with the titles in parentheses. Thanks to all who took part in this little trivia game.

1. The Band: Take a load off Fannie, take a load for free. (The Weight)













2. The Beatles: Christ you know it ain't easy. You know how hard it can be. (The Ballad of John and Yoko)















3. Chuck Berry: Up in the mornin' and out to school. The teacher is teachin' the golden rule. (School Day)
















4. Mary J. Blige: Come on baby just party with me. Let loose and set your body free. Leave your situations at the door. So when you step inside jump on the floor. (Family Affair)
















5. Bob Dylan: You've gotta lotta nerve to say you are my friend. When I was down you just stood there grinnin'. (Positively 4th Street)
















6. 4 Non Blondes: And I say, hey hey hey hey. Hey hey hey. I said hey, what's going on? (What's Up?)













7. Green Day: Do you have the time. To listen to me whine. (Basket Case)














8. The Mamas and Papas: Broke, busted, disgusted. Agents can't be trusted. (Creeque Alley)















9. The Monkees: And the sun with a kiss, begins to dismiss. The memory of my life without you. (Good Clean Fun)
















10. Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland: No matter what I do, all I think about is you. Even when I'm with my boo, ya know I'm crazy over you. (Dilemma)













11. The Notorious B.I.G.: They heard about the Rolex's and the Lexus wit the Texas license plate outta state. They heard about the pounds you got down in Georgetown, now they heard you got half of Virginia locked down. (Warning)

















12. Wilson Pickett: Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na. (Land of 1000 Dances)
















13. Little Stevie Wonder: Just a little bit of sou-ou-ou-ou-oul. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Clap your hands just a little bit louder. Clap your hands just a little bit louder. (Fingertips-Pt. 2)
















Leave your link in comments so that others can visit you.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




32 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh. I recognize several of these. Great idea for this week!

www.mamapj.com

Anonymous said...

oh. we can leave our answers here! Cool. Here are the ones I think I know:
1. The Weight
3. School Days
4. A Family Affair
6. What's Up
7. Basket Case

pussreboots said...

#6 brings back memories of the WORST college roommates I ever had. Happy TT.

The Gal Herself said...

1. The Weight
2. The Ballad of John and Yoko
3. Hail, Hail Rock & Roll
5. Positively 4th Street
8. Creque Valley

Less than half. I won't pass this course, will I, Prof. Malcolm?

SJ Reidhead said...

What a great idea! Great list. I even know many of these!

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

Tink said...

I know only one title, but I recognise several of the songs!
My TT has 13 posts without comments this week.

pjazzypar said...

Cool TT Malcolm, You know I am game...Here goes

1. The Weight
2. Ballad of John and Yoko
3. School Day
4. Family Affair
5. Positively 4th Street
6. Hey
7. ?
8. Creeque Alley
9. ?
10. No Matter What I Do
11. Warning
12. Land of a Thousand Dances
13. Fingertips Pt. 2

Kim said...

Very creative TT! It's a great list, but I only recognize a few of the songs. I'm going to blame it on my cold medicine. :) Thanks for sharing this Thursday!

Hootin Anni said...

Well, this is one amazing thursday 13! How very interesting.

My 13 is posted...drop by and have a laugh or two! Won't you?

Chelle Y. said...

I have never heard of any of those except the "na na" one, and thanks to you, will be stuck in my head all night!

Pretty Life Online said...

Great choice for TT! mine' s up too hope you can drop by... Happy TT!

Malcolm said...

Thriving Holly: Thanks for the positive feedback on this T13! Of the ones you attempted, 5 for 5 (just like Arby's).

Pussreboots: Having one college roommate could be trying, but multiple ones? Ouch!

The Gal Herself: I won't move you to the back of the class because some of these are pretty tough. Of the ones you attempted, you got 4 out of 5 (your answer for #3 is incorrect).

SJ: If you have time, feel free to come back and put down the answers to the ones you know.

Tink: I'm curious. Which one of these do you know?

Pjazzy: I had no idea you were into trivia. I learn something new everyday. Anyway, of the ones you attempted, you only missed 6 and 10.

Kim: Thanks for paying me a visit. I hope the cold medicine does the trick.

Hootin' Anni: I sure will drop by.

Chelle Y: Just be glad I didn't do a T13 that listed a crap song like "You Light Up My Life". :-)

Open Grove Claudia said...

Wow - what a music taste! I'm blown away. I thought I knew music but... I bow to your excellence once again Malcolm!

Happy TT

You can find me at: http://www.on-a-limb.com

Meju said...

I am not sure my mind can take 2 quizzes in one week...I will ponder these though!

Janet said...

2. The Ballad of John & Yoko
3. Hail, Hail Rock and Roll
8. California Dreamin'

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks to Thriving at 30 for shedding some light. My senility has the best of me tonight.

Yasmin said...

GREAT IDEA...and I don't know the titles of any of them without cheating. LOL.

Journeywoman said...

2) Ballad of John and Yoko
6) What's Up
7) Basket Case.

GREAT idea.

where's Baba O'Reilly?

bernieg1 said...

Now I would have never thought about that. That is really a very clever tt 12 you have come up with and interesting to read.

My 34th TT is up: 13 comments you can make to your physician while he's performing a colonoscopy on you. Here's the link.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

I am not up for this one too tired sorry but fun creative idea

Anonymous said...

I loved the 4 non blonde song, Hey what's going on. I might have to post that one of these weeks on my Friday's Song post.
Stop by and check out them on Friday's. It's another meme that I formed. I welcome anyone to play along and tell me what they are listening to on Friday's.
Maribeth

P.S. Fun TT

Kim said...

I knew some of the artist but I have no idea about the songs.

Anonymous said...

I know most of those songs! Good variety....

Malcolm said...

OG Claudia: Thanks!

Meju: Aw, you can handle it.

Janet: You got #2 correct. Thanks for playing.

Sandy: Senility? I hope you remember how to get back here in order to see the answers on Friday. :-)

Yasmin: I wouldn't be surprised if you don't recognize some of the titles when you see them.

Journeywoman: You got the 3 you attempted correct. As for your question regarding "Baba O'Reilly", this is the Thursday Thirteen. There's no way I could include all the songs that fit this category. :-)

Maribeth: Thanks for the meme invite. Although I already participate in two other music-related memes on Friday, I'll take a look at yours.

Bernie, Marcia, and Kim: Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Note to self do not be listening to music when trying to attempt this....because my brain just shut off. Great idea though, you have a very clever TT this week, again.
Mine are posted at both The Cafe & Mama Bear Reads.

Amy The Black said...

Oh, oh oh, it's on the tip of my tongue. Not really. I can sing the songs, but damn if I know the names!

Deanna Dahlsad said...

I wish you allowed comments from folks by name/url so that I could comment from my Collectors Quest ID (TT here)...

1 The Weight
2 Ballad John Yoko
3 School day
4 ? (too new for this cat)
5 ? (all his songs sound like a goat; can't tell 'em apart)
6 What's up
7 Basket case
8 Creeque Alley
9 ?
10 ? (too new)
11 ? (too new)
12 ? now I'm just too old... my brain is tired...

Audra Krell said...

I love music quizzes like this! But I totally failed, brings back bad memories of college exams where the stuff seemed familiar, but I didn't know one answer!
My third edition of TT is the books I'm reading.
http://www.audrakrell.com/2008/07/good-writers.html

Lori Watson said...

Wow, I am a music lover and could sing many of these in my head but was clueless as to the titles. Ya stumped me. :-)

Cool idea though!

My TT is only worth checking out if you are or ever have been a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. Yes, I have odd interests for a preacher's wife. ;-)

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Na Na Na Na.

Sorry I just had to do it, lol!

bernie said...

Came back to thank you for visiting my TT. Just FYI, I linked your TT from mine

Malcolm said...

Sassy Mama Bear, Amy the Black, Audra, and Lori: Thanks for stopping by. In case you haven't checked back, I updated this post on Friday to include the song titles.

Pop Tart: I'm sorry to hear about any problems you had commenting. Because of issues I had with anonymous assholes, I had to change my settings so that only registered users or those with Google accounts can comment.

As for the quiz, you didn't do too bad. The song titles have been added to the post in case you want to see what you missed.

Pop Art Diva: I understand; it's hard to resist.

Bernie G: Thanks for linking my T13 to yours. Enjoy your week.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->