Friday, July 18, 2008

Old School Friday: Break Up Songs

While visiting the blog What Would Thembi Do late last month, I discovered a cool weekly internet meme called Old School Fridays. Created by Ms Grapevine and MarvalusOne, the rules are as follows:

1. Anyone can participate; any music genre

2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999 (you know, back when we were using dial-up to access the Internet)

3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version

4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane

5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out

6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants


If you want to join in on the fun, click here.

This week, the theme is "Break Up Songs". For my debut entry in the Old School Friday meme I bring you MJ's ode to Ryan's daughter (of course I mean Tatum O'Neal, not the 1970 Robert Mitchum film), "She's Out of My Life". Tito, where is my Kleenex?! Jermaine, if you don't stop teasing...


10 comments:

Hagar's Daughter said...

Welcome to OSF. Nice choice; this is a great song by MJ.
Happy Old School Friday. Have a great weekend.

pjazzypar said...

Hey Malcolm,
This a cool meme! Good choice from Michael Jackson, love the Tito and Jermaine references :)

Kim said...

OMG!!! There is a video for this??? I love it! Great pick! Ahhhh the days when Mike was the man! And I attended the concert waaaaaay back in the 79 or 80 when he performed this song. He really did cry on stage. I was in 4th grade screaming my little head off.

BeckEye said...

Memes? I don't need no stinking memes! I kick it old school every week!! :)

X. Dell said...

I don't remember the video for this. Funny that it should be a video of a favorite breakup tune, because I actually posted mine today without knowledge of the meme.

Weird.

Old School Fridays said...

OOOOhhhh! I love this song. Thank you for digging deep. I use to wear this sad song out. This is when Michael could do no wrong...This is one of the saddest songs ever, and I love it...

Old School Fridays said...

I agree with x. dell, I didn't know this song had a video.

Marvalus said...

So good...so pure...so talented...

I still look at MJ and wonder what happened to this brotha?

Happy OSF!

musikal maniac said...

Michael Jackson before he completely lost it. This is a great song that reflects his true genius.

Malcolm said...

Hagar's Daughter: Thank you! I look forward to taking part in future OSFs as well.

Pjazzy: Thanks! I knew you would like those references. I'll admit that I borrowed them from Eddie Murphy, but modified them for my own devilish purposes.

Kim: I didn't know there was a video either until I did the You Tube (aka Cyber Crack) search. I can count on them to have damn near everything. Lucky you for getting a chance to see MJ in the pre-Thriller era.

Beckeye: Props for the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" reference. However, you lost those and then some when you (unintentionally or not) evoked the 2007 Jamie Kennedy comedy. :-)

X. Dell: For whatever reason, they never show this video anymore. At least I don't see it anywhere.

Mrs. Grapevine: I am one of those people who thinks that "Off the Wall" is a better album than "Thriller".

Mrs. Marvulus: It pains me when I look at MJ these days. How could things go so so wrong?!

Musikal Maniac: MJ's brilliance is one thing that no one can ever take away from him. I know it's hard, but I wish that more people would focus on his music and forget all the other stuff.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->