Friday, July 25, 2008

Old School Friday: Make Up Songs

For this week's Old School Friday meme, we are flipping over the record (metaphorically speaking) and spotlighting make up songs. This week's song is by The Ronettes, one of the greatest girl groups and arguably the epitome of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound". The song I selected, 1964's (The Best Part of ) Breakin' Up, shamefully only made it to #39 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart. If the only Ronettes' tune that you know is Be My Baby, do yourself a favor and check out (The Best Part of ) Breakin' Up as well as some of their other songs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a clip of them actually performing the song. Still, you can watch the black circle spin and listen to it in the player below.

This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine. The rules are simple:

1. Anyone can participate; any music genre

2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999

3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version

4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane

5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out

6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants

If you want to join in on the fun, click here.


6 comments:

Marvalus said...

The Ronettes had such a unique sound...I don't think I've heard this song, but me likey.

Happy OSF!

pjazzypar said...

Nice song by the group. I thought i had already commented on this earlier today. I am losing it for sure.

Hagar's Daughter said...

The Ronettes were a fierce Girl Group; great choice. Thanks for the Side B.

Have a great weekend.

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Oh, hahaha, you said "make up song" and my first thought was "songs about putting on lipstick and mascara?" - I'm losing it faster than Pjazzy!

I loved the Ronettes but Be My Baby is still my favorite of theirs.

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Now you got me doing Old School Fridays, lol! Fun!

Malcolm said...

Ms Marvulus: I was so glad when the Ronettes were finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. Thankfully, all 3 of them were alive to enjoy the honor.

Pjazzy: It's easy to go into "blog fog" and lose track.

Hagar's Daughter: Thanks for stopping by. Just to be clear, the song I chose this week wasn't a B-side. I just used the term "flip side" because last week's theme for OSF was break up songs and this week's was make up songs. Enjoy your week.

Pop Art Diva: Speaking of make-up, there is an excellent 4 CD box set spotlighting the 60s girl group sound called "One Kiss Lead To Another". The CD holders are designed to look like a make-up compact case! I'm glad you decided to join in on OSF.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->