Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mamma Mia... Box Office Gold!

Due to the record breaking business of the latest Batman film, another box-office success story has been lost in the Hollywood Shuffle. This past weekend, the musical Mamma Mia! took in $27.8 million dollars to open at #2 behind The Dark Knight. Adapted from the hit stage musical of the same name and featuring songs from the ABBA catalogue, Mamma Mia! stars Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, and Pierce Brosnan, and centers around a bride-to-be (Seyfried) trying to find her natural father. Streep plays the bride-to-be's mother and Brosnan is one of the three gents who may be her father.

The success of Mamma Mia! isn't a surprise to me. Not only is the stage version a hit and is still currently on Broadway, but ABBA is without question one of the most popular defunct groups today. Their music continues to sell well and they reportedly turned down an offer of one billion dollars to do a reunion tour a few years ago. Although I haven't seen Mamma Mia yet, I would like to; if not on the big screen, then once it hits DVD.

Feel free to answer any or all of the following questions in the comments section:

1. Have you seen Mamma Mia yet? If so, what did you think of it?
2. Are you an ABBA fan? What are some of your favorite songs by them?

Below is the trailer to Mamma Mia!

8 comments:

pjazzypar said...

I haven't seen it, but I will. I am a Meryl Streep fan, so I usually catch everything she does with the exception of "The French Lieutenant's
Wife". I wouldn't say I was a particular fan of ABBA's because I never bought any of their music. I do have "The Dancing Queen" on the "Son of Sam" soundtrack. I guess my favorite would be the aforementioned song.

Jay said...

I will probably see it when it comes out on DVD. I'm sure the movie is entertaining, but not one I would actually go to the theater to see. I don't go to the theater often anyway, other than today because I'm going to see The Dark Knight.

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

I went to see Dark Knight last Friday - couldn't get in, then tried to see Mamma Mia - couldn't get in there either! And Pierce Brosnan is in it!

I really want to see Dark Knight on a big screen but I can see Mamma Mia on a DVD if I have to.

I liked Abba's music - it was so upbeat and happy - kind of sappy, but sometimes you need a little sap!

Gayle said...

I haven't seen either, and I won't go to the theater...just too expensive. I've sure we'll rent it one day. I'm a fan of most music...

Ivanhoe said...

I've seen the musical on Broadway and I loved it. I also admit that I love Abba :o) I'll probably just rent it, as the reviews are not so hot. Actually, they are saying that if there was not the great music, the movie would suck. I guess I have to wait and see...

The Rock Chick said...

I want to see this! Everyone I know that has just loved it!!

I love most of the ABBA songs. My kids do, too, from that A-Teens group. Mom? How do you know the words to these songs LOL KIDS!!!

I don't know which is my favorite. Too many to choose from.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I need to see it. I have free movie passes...must get to the cinema!

Malcolm said...

Pjazzy: If you ever decide to purchase any of ABBA's music, I recommend "ABBA Gold". It feat. most of their U.S. Top 40 hits as well as some lesser known tunes.

Jay: I rarely go to the theater anymore myself. Usually when I do, I go on opening night. When the crowds die down a bit, I will probably go see The Dark Knight. After that, maybe Mamma Mia.

Pop Art Diva: I agree with you about ABBA's songs being upbeat. They are one of the "go-to" artists for whenever I need a lift.

Gayle: When you add in some of the extras that can go into seeing a movie (snacks, babysitter, etc.) a night out at the theater can get steep.

Ivanhoe: Did you read the movie critic's review in Entertainment Weekly? I ask because that's what he said about the movie (that the music was the saving grace).

The Rock Chick: I'm glad you kicked some knowledge to your kids in regards to ABBA. Have they heard the ABBA originals now? If so, what do they think of them? Also, thanks in advance for inspiring me.

Mistress of the D: When you check out "Mamma Mia", I hope you post about it on your blog.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->