Friday, August 8, 2008

Old School Fridays: Rock Songs

The theme for Old School Fridays this week is rock songs. My selection is by a band that caused eyebrows to arch when they came on the scene in the late 1980s... the Black rock combo Living Colour. Although Chuck Berry and Little Richard helped lay the groundwork for rock and roll in the 1950s, the advent of soul music saw the number of Black rockers dwindle (Jimi Hendrix being one of the rare exceptions). When Living Colour's Cult of Personality blasted over the airwaves in 1989, there were some who considered them almost a novelty based solely on their skin color. That's too bad because Living Colour was one of the tightest bands around. I got the chance to see them live in Kalamazoo back in the early 90s and it was one of the best shows I've witnessed. Below is the video for my favorite tune by Living Colour, Type (from their 1990 album Time's Up).

This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine. The rules are simple:

1. Anyone can participate; any music genre

2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999

3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version

4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane

5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out

6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants

If you want to join in on the fun, click here.

5 comments:

Thembi Ford said...

I was THISCLOSE to posting In Living Colour! I think the black kids early 90s gen-xers who listened to this band are today the coolest about to be middle-aged heads around...

Old School Fridays said...

I rocked to Living Colour only because they were black, not because I just loved the msuic. I was so happy to see a real rock band that was black, that I had to like to them...Now, I don't listen to them as much...

Marvalus said...

After watching two Living Colour vids today...I think I remember crushing on the lead singer a bit...

tee hee hee...

Have a good weekend!

Malcolm said...

Thembi: When I saw the theme was rock songs, I had to show some love for Living Colour. Another one of my fave LC songs is "Elvis Is Dead".

Mrs Grapevine: I was hoping that the emergence of Living Colour would have seen a resurgence of more Black rock and roll artists and more Black fans getting into rock and roll. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Ms. Marvulus: I guess that would make you a lover of Corey Glover. Enjoy your week!

Anonymous said...

I only remember liking Cult of Personality and Glamour Boys. But, what ever happened to them?

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->