Monday, May 17, 2010

You Tube Turns 5 Years Old


On May 17 2005, the site which gave birth to the slogan "Broadcast yourself" was launched. Although it wasn't the 3rd of September, the day I accidentally discovered You Tube is one I'll always remember. While doing prep for my radio show on a Saturday afternoon back in 2005, I did an Internet search for the UK group The Housemartins. Since one of the songs on my playlist that day was their a capella version of Caravan of Love, I wanted to see if there was some interesting trivia about the band and/or song. My search took me to a results page that had a link to watch the music video for Caravan of Love on some site called You Tube and the rest is approved time wasting history:




Since I'd be here until the 10th anniversary of You Tube listing some of the best stuff I've seen on the site, here are a few of my fave clips:

Then Michigan State head football coach John L. Smith extols the virtues of his staff:



A New York news anchor asks a very important question:



A 1950s crooner literally flips his wig:




What are some of your favorite You Tube memories?

No comments:

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->