Friday, November 9, 2007

Retro Commercial: Alpha Bits

In this commercial from 1973, the Jackson Five sing about the virtues of Alpha Bits cereal. This one takes me back to the days of cereal box records and when the networks actually aired programs on Saturday morning that was for kids. I know that many kids have The Disney Channel and Nickelodeon in their households, but is getting up to watch children's programming a Saturday morning ritual anymore?

Anyways, the Jackson Five did a series of commercials for Alpha Bits back in 1973. One of the things that I like about these commercials is that you get the chance to see Michael act like a kid. From what Michael and others have said about his childhood, he didn't get many opportunities to do so while growing up.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Cereal box records! I'd completely forgotten about those Malcolm. Thanks for the memory. And who can forget the "old" Michael Jackson? I really do miss him (smile).

pjazzypar said...

The young Michael and his brothers rocked. I remember getting up on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons and Soul Train. I did this well into my late teens. I remember the ABC television lineup including educational fare, including "Conjunction Junction", and the different math, and history lessons. The good old days before cable and Playstations.

X. Dell said...

I admit it. I liked the Jackson Five back in the day. Still do.

Alphabits wasn't a bad cereal, either.

Damien Riley said...

Those were great! My mom still called them "sugar cereal," but I saw them as a midway between cheerios and frosted flakes.

Malcolm said...

Lori: I have a book on Bubblegum music that has a chapter on Cereal Box records. According to the book, the Jackson Five also did a cereal box record for Rice Krinkles.

Pjazzy: Yup, getting up at about 7 or 7:30 in the morning on Saturdays was a regular routine of mine throughout the 70s into the early 80s.

X. Dell: Me too. I still have hope that they will do one more reunion tour. Tickets would be expensive to say the least, but most likely well worth it.

Damien: That's a pretty accurate description of Alpha Bits. I'll bet that some parents thought of them as an alternative to cereals like Coco Puffs, Froot Loops, etc.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->