Monday, November 19, 2007

Sunday's American Music Awards

Last night I watched the American Music Awards for the first time in awhile. To say that I have lost touch with much of the current music would be an understatement. I recognize many of the artists by name... but when it comes to knowing some of the actual songs, I am like the survivors of Oceanic flight 815. However, thanks to the Internet and magazines like Entertainment Weekly, I am able to stay up to date a little with what's happening in the music world.

Because the AMAs are determined by a poll of music buyers, it's fairly easy to predict the winners. Even I could tell you that Carrie Underwood was going to walk away with multiple trophies and that "High School Musical 2" would win Favorite Soundtrack.

Since who will win and won't win an AMA isn't much of a mystery, the host and the music performances have to make the show. For the most part, host Jimmy Kimmel did a good job of keeping the pace moving while staying out of the way. He did a routine where he had two "American Idol" alums (Kellie Pickler and Jordin Sparks) join him onstage to perform the "Soulja Boy Dance". Another skit had him and Kid Rock doing a take off on Mr. Rock's beat down of Tommy Lee at the VMAs that happened earlier this year.

As for the musical performances, there were a few interesting moments/highlights:

1. Fergie opened the show with a medley of some of her hits (getting a little help from her Black Eyed Peas buddy will.i.am on the first portion). The second tune in the medley (Clumsy) caught my attention because it samples the Little Richard classic "The Girl Can't Help It".

2. A teen trio of siblings known as the Jonas Brothers performed. Apparently, they are a big deal with the Disney set. As they were being introduced by Jordin Sparks, a swarm of screaming teenage girls ran up the aisles towards the stage. One of the brothers tripped as they came out from behind 3 shattered glass partitions. I give him props because he played it off pretty good.

3. Mary J. Blige was her usual outstanding self. Looking very sexy in an all-black skin tight outfit with thigh-high boots to match, Mary J. performed "Just Fine" (the first single off of her upcoming album "Growing Pains").

4. Although it's been several years since Queen Latifah revealed to the world that she can sing her ass off, her vocal prowess still has the power to amaze. The artist formerly known as Dana Owens performed "I Know Where I've Been" (a song that's included on the "Hairspray soundtrack as well as her latest CD "Trav'lin' Light").

5. Duran Duran performed two songs during their set. They opened with "Falling Down" (the 1st single from their just released CD "Red Carpet Massacre"). The second song that they were to perform was determined by voters who participated in an online poll at mycokerewards.com... their 1983 smash "Hungry Like the Wolf".

6. Of all the music performances during the AMAs, my favorite was the one that featured bluegrass duo Sugarland performing a countrified version of the song "Irreplaceable" with a surprise special guest. The performance was proof that if a song is good, it can transcend genres. Below is the clip from the performance. "To the left, to the left..."

5 comments:

Holly Smith said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny. I love the original, but this was just too twangy for me. Thanks for posting this, b/c I missed the show.

Holly Smith said...

Oh yeah, I was going to ask you if you saw Alicia Keys at the MTV VMA this year singing George Michael's "Freedom '90". I missed the show, but I caught it on YouTube. It's like she sang it just for me. I knew I liked Alicia Keys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE1eLnpJaN0

The Rock Chick said...

I thought this years AMAs were pretty entertaining! Normally, I don't watch award shows but the Jonas Brothers were on and my teenage daughters insisted on taking over the TV. What could I say? I sat on woodchips for three hours to get a glimpse of Bon Jovi!

Queen Latifah's performance was fabulous! I just love her! I'm not a big country fan but Jennifer Nettles did a duet with Bon Jovi and I've been a Sugarland fan ever since! She has such a powerful voice, too!

pjazzypar said...

I hate I missed it, but I tire very quickly of award shows. The only music award show I might actually watch is the "Grammys". "Soul Train", "Vibe" and all other music award shows can count me out. I would have enjoyed seeing Queen and Mary J. remains a perennial favorite of mine. I'll catch the performances I missed on "You Tube". You just got to love 'You Tube" because it keeps me from wasting my precious time on nonsense.

Malcolm said...

Holly: I'm like guitarist Duane Eddy... the twang's the thang, lol. I heard that Sugarland came up with the idea for the duet w/ Beyonce'. After searching You Tube, I found that Sugarland has performed "Irreplaceable" live in concert several times.

The only part of the VMAs that I caught was the Britney fiasco. Thanks for the link to Alicia's performance... I had no idea that she did "Freedom '90" at the awards show.

Jessica: If I wasn't writing a pop culture blog, I probably wouldn't have watched the AMAs. However, I am glad that I did because it was an enjoyable show! I'll bet that your teen daughters wished they could have been among the throng of fans who rushed the stage during the Jonas Bros.' set.

I think a friend/colleague has the new Queen Latifah CD. I'll have to ask her. I knew next to nothing about Sugarland before I saw them on the AMAs the other night. You are right, Jennifer Nettles has a helluva voice. I will be checking Napster to sample some of Sugarland's songs.

Pjazzy: As I said before, You Tube (or as I like to call it cyber crack) is a wonderful thing!

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->