Sunday, June 29, 2008

Final Results of the Favorite Prince Song Poll

With almost double the amount of votes received by the runner-up, When Doves Cry was voted your favorite Prince song out of the ones that hit #1. Incidentally, When Doves Cry is also the biggest hit of Prince's career thus far (#1 for 8wks on the R&B chart and 5 wks on the pop chart).

I knew when I put together this poll that I would have to limit the choices to just #1 hits. Otherwise, you would have needed to scroll down in order to see all of the choices. Since it's practically impossible to pick just one tune as a favorite by His Royal Badness, I set up the poll so that multiple selections could be made (I also mentioned this in the invite post as well). I hope that those of you who mentioned how hard it is to pick just one favorite Prince tune took the opportunity to select multiple songs.

With a couple of exceptions, the voting followed the pattern of each song's crossover success. I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my faves (1979's I Wanna Be Your Lover) make a solid showing in the polls. Although it was his first #1 (spending 2 wks on top of the R&B charts), it only peaked at #11 on the pop chart. The other exception was the lack of love received by Batdance. Although it was the fourth and the last (to date) of Prince's songs to hit #1 on both the pop and R&B charts (the other 3 are When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, and Kiss), it tied with two others for the least amount of votes. I know I'm in the minority, but I think Batdance is an underrated tune in the Prince catalog. "Vicki Vale.... Vicki Vale..."

Here are the final results:

When Doves Cry- 39%
Kiss and Let's Go Crazy- 20% each
I Wanna Be Your Lover- 13%
Diamonds and Pearls- 11%
Cream- 6%
Batdance, Sign of the Times, and Thieves In the Temple- 2% each

Note: There won't be a new poll until Sunday July 6th.

Below is the video for the winning song in the Prince poll:

No comments:

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->