Sunday, June 3, 2007

Tony Thompson, R.I.P.

Just hours after my post on the late Charles Nelson Reilly, I learned about the death of another celebrity...Tony Thompson. Not to be confused with the late drummer for Chic and the Power Station who shares his name, you may remember Tony for his work as the lead singer of the teen group from the early 90s, Hi-Five. Their biggest single was the #1 R&B/#1 pop hit "I Like the Way (The Kissing Game)". Thompson died of an apparent drug overdose at the age of 31. In addition to the hits he scored with Hi-Five, Tony Thompson also hit the charts a couple of times in the mid 90s as a solo artist.

Although it had been awhile since Thompson had a hit on the charts, he was still active in the music biz. As a matter of fact, he was working on a new album that was scheduled to be released in the fall. I visited his My Space page and it's sort of sad to read the "About" section of his profile, because it sounded like he had high hopes for a musical comeback. When I scrolled down the page, I read some of the comments left by people whose lives were touched by him. I wonder if he knew?

http://www.myspace.com/tonythompsonmusicpage

News story on Tony Thompson's Death

Hi-Five performing I Like the Way on Soul Train

No comments:

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->