Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tyler Perry's House of Payne

I watched the new TBS sitcom "Tyler Perry's House of Payne" for the 1st time tonight. Since its sister station TNT bombarded us basketball fans with commercials for the sitcom during the 2007 NBA playoffs, I felt compelled to give it a shot. "House of Payne" stars LaVan Davis and Cassi Davis as Curtis and Ella Payne, an older couple who take in his firefighter nephew CJ (Allen Payne), his wife Janine (Demetria McKinney) and their two children after their house burns down.

With a title such as "House of Payne", it would be too easy to use variations of the word "pain" to describe my thoughts on the show. However, I won't go there. I'll just say... it sucks! Badly written/acted, preachy, and with jokes so weak even the laugh track can barely muster a chuckle, "House of Payne" makes "Punky Brewster" look like "The Cosby Show"! When a script has a character spouting lines stolen from Diane Sawyer's 2002 interview with Whitney Houston ("crack is whack", "show me receipts"), you know it's in serious trouble.

TBS reportedly ponied up $200 million dollars for 100 episodes of "House of Payne". I'm being generous when I say that Tyler Perry owes TBS $199,999,999.

Did you happen to catch "House of Payne"? If so, what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Chaos said...

Man, I didn't even last 10 minutes with this! It originally aired in Philadelphia and surrounding areas. It was so bad that it was pulled quick and revamped and then TBS picked it up. They should have revamped a little more.

I have a friend who can't stand Tyler Perry. She saw one of his plays and wanted her money back. And the mere mention of Diary Of A Mad Black Woman sends her into a diatribe that makes even me blush.

And you are being generous. Tyler Perry owes TBS and those that endured even a minute of this.

Malcolm said...

I thought that "Diary of A Mad Black Woman" was fairly good, but Medea is one of those characters where a little can go a long way.

I had heard that "House of Payne" had aired last year. Given that the revamped version is so bad, I can't imagine what the original was like!

Anonymous said...

House of Payne sucks.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->