Monday, August 13, 2007

Happy Birthday Danny Bonaduce!

After thumbing through the book "Chase's Calendar of Events", I learned that Danny Bonaduce's birthday is on August 13th. Although it's late in the day, I would be remiss if I didn't make note of the 48th birthday of the red-headed kid who inspired many wannabe musicians to strap on a bass.

Below is a clip from a 1971 Partridge Family episode titled "Soul Club". If you have never seen this episode, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that I am making this up. The plot centers around The Partridges winding up in a ghetto in Detroit due to a booking mixup. Once there, they learn that club owners A.E. and Sam Simon are in danger of losing their business to a loan shark. A.E. and Sam are played by comedy icon Richard Pryor and future Oscar winner Louis Gossett Jr!

Shirley learns that the Temptations were supposed to play at the club and that the booking mixup wasn't a mistake, but was planned by the loan shark so that A.E. and Sam couldn't make their last payment. In order to help, the Partridge's give a free concert. However, the loan shark and his musclemen make sure that no one shows up.

The next day, Shirley comes up with the idea of having a block party to save the club. Keith lends a hand by working up a new song ("kind of an Afro thing"... his words, not mine) with A.E. titled "Bandala". Partridge Family manager Reuben Kincaid pitches in by getting the DJs to announce the event and Danny convinces a group of tough-looking martial artists to get an orchestra together. The block party is a resounding success and the money earned give the Simon brothers more than enough to pay off the loan shark. The Partridge Family hops aboard their psychedelic bus and rides off into the sunset (OK, I did make up the riding off into the sunset part).

Bandala:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good old late sixties and early seventies. You got to love that era when everyone was working hard to be politically correct. I wonder who were the writers who had this bright idea. How in the hell could the Partridge Family replace the Temptations in Detroit in 1971? It's a ludicrous assumption, but that's television for you. Anyhow, happy birthday Danny Bonaduce and many happy returns.

The Rock Chick said...

I have to say...I was a huge fan of The Partridge Family back then...and ok, I'll admit "I Think I Love You" is still one of my favorite songs :)

That show was always in fantasyland, but I liked it :)

Jessica

Kendra said...

thanks for stopping by my site! it's always nice to hear from a fellow michigander! fenton is actually about an hour from where i grew up!

The Tour Marm said...

Oh! I love Danny! He makes me smile each time I see him on Craig Ferguson! He's a hoot!
I'm glad he made it this far and hope he stays sober.

Malcolm said...

Thanks to everyone for commenting on Danny Bonaduce. I think he is funny as hell! I used to wonder why he never got a shot at headlining his own sitcom as an adult. However, as I thought about it, the networks may have been scared away by his personal difficulties. Of course I am going under the assumption that he ever expressed interest in doing his own sitcom. The Partridge Family is the ultimate guilty pleasure... both for TV and for music. I may actually play one of their tunes on the show this coming weekend. It's been awhile since I have done that.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->