Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Running With the Devil Again... The Return of Van Halen

According to reports, Van Halen are announcing next week that they will be reuniting with their original lead singer David Lee Roth for a 50 date tour of America. The tour is set to launch in October and will reunite Roth with Eddie Van Halen on guitar and his brother Alex Van Halen behind the drum kit. Subbing on bass for original member Michael Anthony is Eddie's son Wolfgang.

This has the makings to be one of the most lucrative and tempestuous tours of the year. A friend of mine sent me an email this morning about the the impending reunion of Van Halen. The subject line was "We'll see how long THIS lasts." A fellow music fan who works in the same building as me doubts that the tour will last beyond the first 20 shows. I told them both that if I was a fan who had tickets for one of the dates late in the tour, I would be just a little nervous.

So what do you think... will the reunion survive for all 50 shows? What other group(s) would you like to see set aside their differences and hit the road for old times sake... and boat loads of money?

9 comments:

BeckEye said...

I'm having serious deja vu.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope it goes better than the Temptations' reunion tour (Remember David? LOL!). But seriously time waits for no one. I can't believe that Wolfgang is old enough or seasoned enough to play in his pop's band, but he is probably pushing 30. Van Halen is a great band, who I hope will be visiting my city. I wish them luck and sincerely hope they get through all 50 cities without incident.

Malcolm said...

The Temptations Reunion tour... oh yes!

David (played by Leon) to the drug dealer: Gimme whatcha got, gimme everything!

Drug dealer: Ease up... you better EASE UP!!

I meant to write in the post that Wolfgang (Eddie's son) is a teenager. I looked it up and found that he is only 16 (I thought he was closer to 20). Wolfgang later began actively participating in the band. Apparently, he made guest appearances during some dates of Van Halen's 2004 tour. I remember reading awhile back that Sammy Hagar was critical about Wolfgang's participation when a possible reunion with David Lee Roth and Van Halen was announced earlier this year. Sammy didn't think it was right to put that amount of pressure on Wolfgang. According to Eddie, Wolfgang is tops. I guess he should know his son better than most... it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Lori said...

What other groups would I like to see? Well, the JACKSONS are the first to come to mind. As old as they are, I think a tour with all of them, Janet, included, would be out of this world! And will no doubt, never, ever happen (smile).

The Rock Chick said...

I hope it works out because I really like them and it would be very cool to see them, but I think it's going to depend on just how stable Eddie actually is. I doubt they will make it thru 50 shows.

I saw a picture of him recently somewhere and he does look a lot better, so I guess we'll just have to see!

Jessica The Rock Chick

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if they'll play big venues or check in with their mortal enemy reality and play smaller venues. If so, Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo would be killer. There could be "a rockstar related incident" in any of the local hotels around there.

I hope they make it to my area, but I'm doubting they will, and more for reasons of ego than anything.

Janet said...

Van Halen with David Lee...the ONLY Van Halen as far as I'm concerned. But ... I do wonder if they'll even make it 10 shows LOL!

Dale said...

They'll never make the full 50. I think it's time The Beatles patched it up and hit the trail again.

Cup said...

I'm keeping fingers crossed. I think the show could be a hoot.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->