Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #6- Favorite Live Performances



Thirteen Memorable Live Performances

Seeing a live performance is one of my favorite things to do. For a small venue, it offers the opportunity to see an artist up close and personal. On the other hand, the arena sized shows gives you the chance to party with thousands of other fans. Below are some of my favorite live shows (in no particular order).

1. Run DMC/The Beastie Boys in 1987- Not only was this a cool show, but it was also my first ever concert! I think I still might have the concert T-shirt buried somewhere.

2. Lollapalooza 92- among the artists in the lineup for this show were The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ice Cube, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Ministry. While standing at the top of the hill during Ministry's performance, a swarm of people surrounding a small-statured man headed in my direction from the left. I stuck my hand out and gave the small-statured man the "soul brother" handshake. That man was Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.

3. The Temptations in the late 1980s- The Tempts were the featured act for the annual U.P. Sports Festival (held in Marquette, MI) that year. Although the outdoor show was in July, the temperature dipped down to 36 degrees that night! Since our apt. was in walking distance, me and my girlfriend went home to get our winter wear before the show started. I remember that The Tempts had the lapels on their suits turned up because it was so cold.

4. R.E.M. in 1995- For rear stage seating, our view was pretty good. Lead singer Michael Stipe also turned around on occasion to play to those of us not facing the front. Directly behind us were some teenyboppers who were shrieking, "We love you Michael Stipe!" It was funny without being annoying. However, it did give me the feeling that I was at an NKOTB concert as opposed to an R.E.M. show.

5. Patti Labelle/Gerald Levert in 1998 or 1999. Patti was in superb form as was to be expected. During the show, she went on a rant regarding the poor service she received at Fishbones (a popular Detroit restaurant). Ironically, that is where me and my then girlfriend had dinner before the show. Luckily, we didn't run into the problems that Ms. Labelle did. The surprising thing about the concert is that the late Gerald Levert outperformed Patti... which isn't easy to do. You could tell that Gerald learned alot about live performing from his dad Eddie (of the Ojays).

6. Def Leppard/Journey in 2006- One of the funny things about this show is that the singer who replaced Steve Perry was sick and didn't perform. That meant that we saw a replacement for the replacement. However, the stand-in did a helluva job. Joe Elliot of Def Leppard sounded as good as he did during the Pyromania days. As side entertainment, there were 2 ladies (I called them The Banger Sisters) in the row in front of us. Wearing their sequined tops and shaking their teased hair all over, they were partying like it was 1987!

7. Daryl Hall & John Oates in 1996- Although I have seen them 3 times in 3 different years, I chose the 1st show as my favorite. Since it would be next to impossible for them to include all of their hits, I forgive them for omitting "Private Eyes" (one of my personal favorites). They more than made up for it with a mix of classics and tunes from their then upcoming CD (Marigold Sky). During their encores, they also covered such classics as "Hot Fun In the Summertime" and "Me and Mrs. Jones".

8. Chris Rock in 2003- There were no pyrotechnics or booming PA announcer to introduce Chris, he simply walked onstage to thunderous applause. I found this to be a pretty cool effect. I read in an interview that Chris picked this up from a U2 show that he saw. Chris had us cracking up all night with jokes about late night trips to ATMs, the reality show "The Bachelor", and the Detroit Lions among others. He definitely gave my stomach muscles a good workout.

9. The Police just 2 weeks ago- Since I wrote about this show in great detail the day after the concert, I won't rehash it. However, the concert was such that I had to include it on this TT. You can click here if you would like to read about it.

10. Living Colour & Candlebox in 1994- Since this show was in Kalamazoo, MI, I had to travel a few hours to see it. Because I had worked earlier that day and didn't get a chance to take a nap, I fell asleep briefly during the Candlebox segment (those theater seats were comfy as hell). However, I did wake up in time to see all of Living Colour's set. One of the songs that they performed was "Elvis Is Dead". At the end of the studio version of this tune is the line, "Elvis has left the building". For the live version, lead vocalist Corey Glover proclaimed, "Elvis has left the bleepin' planet!"

11. Felix Cavaliere's Rascals in 2002- Felix sang and played his ass off that night! One of the highlights was a medley of classic oldies that he mixed in by other artists such as Chuck Berry and Marvin Gaye. Since Felix had forgotten one of the lines in "Maybellene", he sang about this fact in place of the line and didn't miss a beat. After the show, I got a chance to meet Felix and get his autograph on the booklet for my copy of the 2-CD set "The Rascals Anthology, 1965-1972".

12. The Lovin' Spoonful in 2001- Since she knew I was a big fan of The Spoonful, a dear friend and former co-worker asked if I wanted to go with her to a free concert they were giving in Flushing, MI. Since John Sebastian (the original lead singer) was no longer with the band, I was somewhat skeptical. As the show was about to start, orig. drummer and current lead singer Joe Butler strapped on the autoharp (which was a trademark of Sebastian). When I saw this, I said to myself, "These guys mean business." The band seemed to really enjoy playing for us. In addition to their hits, they also played some of their lesser known tunes that only a Spoonful freak such as I would know. They also did a medley of tunes by some of their folk-rock contemporaries like The Mamas and Papas, The Association, and The Byrds.

13. India.Arie in 2006- One of the benefits of my job is that recording artists often come to the office building where I work. One of the things that struck me is that India was smaller than I expected. She performed songs from her then upcoming CD "Testimony Vol. 1- Life and Relationship". India mentioned that the singular form of "relationship" in the title was intentional. Seeing India perform in an intimate setting was perfect for her style of music. After the performance, I got her autograph on my copy of her 1st CD... as well as a hug!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens! (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

1. Lori does her best Heloise impersonation and shares 13 helpful household hints.
2. Ben Clapton provides 13 reasons you should have a cup of joe.
3. Mama Lee offers an extended and hilariously twisted TT this week. She lists rejected Dr. Seuss titles and Little Golden Books that never made it.
4. Pay a visit to Lori's Old School Mix... she also lists 13 of her favorite live shows.
5. Robin tells us about 13 things she has planned with her 3 1/2 year old daughter while her husband and son are visiting the U.S.
6. Ed lists 13 of his faves from the small screen. He even includes You Tube links as well!
7. The Gal Herself has a TT that deals with the perils of dog fighting.
8. Dana tells you about 13 things that she wouldn't want to live without.
9. The Crux shares 13 quotes by "The Sage of Baltimore", H.L. Mencken.
10. Holly lists 13 of her pet names.
11. Yoshi has a TT that'll make your mouth water!
12. The Rock Chick tells you how an illness of hers was misdiagnosed 13 times!
13. Book Mama shares 13 things she did on her one week vacation.









Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



23 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like you've been to some great concerts:) Id like to see the Beastie Boys!!

Anonymous said...

Great list, I wish I could claim to have been to that many concerts. What a great life!

Taj said...

Completely jealous Malcolm. I almost went to Lollapalooza that year but was felled by a pesky gallbladder.

Anonymous said...

I would've really liked to see Hall and Oates!

Happy TT!

katherine. said...

great list. My fave was Seals and Croft...1977..front row...they sang, "I'll play for you" to me.

Lori said...

Hey Malcom,
Reading your list made me think about all of the great concerts I've attended. So, if you don't mind, I'm going to borrow your idea and list 13 of my own favorite concerts (smile).

Robin said...

There's just something about a live show...

I think the two best ones I ever saw were Billy Joel at a huge stadium show back in the 80's (my god, the energy he had) and David Broza, an Israeli singer-songwriter and Spanish guitar virtuoso who also performs in English and Spanish. It was a very small venue and I was in the front row - I've never so completely mesmerized in my life.

Then of course there were too many Dead shows to count, but they're in a league all their own ;-).

Unknown said...

Great list of shows. My two favorites were from opposite sides of the US and in as different of venues as you an imagine. The first was Yakov Smirnov in he Black Swan in Ashland, OR. A very small theater, and he had me laughing from the moment he walked on the stage. The second was River Dance on Broadway. Wow, that one blew my mind. Tanks for bringing back the memories.

Ed
http://edsthread.co.nr

The Gal Herself said...

What an eclectic list! When you saw Felix, was Dino still on drums?

Malcolm said...

Hi Lori (from the Old School Mix): I glanced at your list of concerts earlier this morning. I'll have to pay another visit and comment later today.

Hello Gal: It's funny that you should ask about Dino Danelli. After I originally posted this TT, I looked at it and decided to cut a few sentences here and there. One of the sentences I cut mentioned that although Felix wasn't with the original Rascals, his current lineup was pretty solid. I didn't think anyone would care about that fact besides me...oops.

When The Rascals were about to be inducted into the RRHOF back in 1997, People magazine did a story on them. In it, Felix said that after the original lineup's performance at the induction ceremony, he would never play with those guys again. Apparently, Dino and Gene sued Felix over the use of the band name. The judge ruled that Felix could perform under the name "Felix Cavaliere's Rascals" and Dino and Gene could use the moniker "The New Rascals". I'm not sure if Eddie Brigati was involved in the lawsuit.

I think that Dino Danelli is one of the most underrated drummers in rock and roll. When reruns of Ed Sullivan aired in the early 90s, I taped quite a few of the rock and soul performances. One of my favorites is The Rascals performing "A Girl Like You". Dinp was amazing (twirling his drumsticks, tearing it up during a brief solo at the end, etc.).

Dana said...

Good list...I have seen a ton of concerts (although a very different group : ) and I think this would be an excellent idea for a post in the future!! Thanks for sharing....Also, you can see my TT at http://lifeiswonderful7.blogspot.com/2007/08/13-material-things-i-wouldnt-want-to.html

Anonymous said...

I remember the Police giving a free concert at the University of Florida in the '80s. This list reminds me of my age (or rather wisdom). Good one!

Holly said...

Wow. You've seen some great shows. I saw Beastie Boys ages ago (I don't even remember what year) and thought they were good.

Best concert I ever saw was - believe it or not - Queensryche. They sounded way better live than on any CD. Color me impressed. ;)

Happy TT

PS. I'm totally jealous over you seeing The Police.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing REM when they were doing the GREEN tour. Probably one of the better concerts I've been do. totally loved it.

One thing I thought was kinda funny was that even Michael Stipe can mess up the lyrics to "it's the end of the world". :)

Nice list!

Janet said...

What a GREAT list!!! When you mentioned Gerald Levert, you reminded me of that song, Casanova. Ahhh, blast from the past!

My five favorite concerts (that I can remember off the top of my head LOL):

1. Robert Plant, two summers ago WOW!
2. T.Rex - my first concert at 14
3. Doug E Fresh w/Slick Rick - 3 years ago, and they did The Show AND Children's Story...awesome!
4. Chuck Berry - back in the 70s, when My Ding-a-Ling was new...fantastic show!
5. Bare Naked Ladies, they always put on a fantastic show!

The Rock Chick said...

This is a totally rockin' concert list, but there's no Bon Jovi on it. Please tell me it's because you haven't seen him live :)

Happy TT!
Jessica The Rock Chick

Anonymous said...

Great list Malcolm,

I too have seen my fair share of concerts over the years. I have actually seen Patti a few times. I am not surprised by the fact that the late, great Gerald Levert out performed Patti. At the BET tribute award for Patti, he kicked his shoes off ala Labelle and laid down and started rolling across the floor. In fact I liken him to the male version of Patti.

Last year I was suppose to see India Arie, but the show was postponed. When it was rescheduled I had relocated so the price of admission was refunded. I am a huge fan.

Note to Jessica the Rock Chick: I don't think Malcolm will be seeing Bon Jovi. Check out the July archives.

Anonymous said...

This is a great list! I'm jealous of some of these. I haven't been to many concerts (too cheap!) but some of my favorites have been Elvis Costello, The Monkees, and Bonnie Raitt (because it was an outdoor concert and she played even when it rained heavily - though she did have to stop during the lightning).

My TT is up - 13 things about my vacation.

Cup said...

I have R.E.M. in 1995 (and many times before and after), and Tempatations in the early 1980s. Gawd, I love concerts ...

Malcolm said...

Katherine: That's a cool concert memory... thanks for sharing it. "I'll Play For You" is one of my favorite Seals and Crofts songs.

Robin: I have heard that Billy Joel is amazing in concert. I sometimes regret that I didn't buy tickets to one of the shows on the 2nd tour he did with Elton John.

Ed: Yakov Smirnoff... now that's a blast from the past. Do you remember the sitcom he did in the late 80s called "What A Country"?

Yoshi: "It's the End of the World As We Know It" is the song that REM closed with when we saw them. Michael may have muffed the lyrics that night, but we were having such a ball that we wouldn't have noticed anyway.

Janet: Thanks for sharing your top 5 concerts. That's quite an eclectic list! I would have enjoyed all of those shows, esp. Chuck Berry. I think I might have to pop "Chuck Berry: Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll" in my DVD player this weekend.

The Rock Chick: Sorry, no love for Bon Jovi. But I know you won't hold that against me. :-)

Pjazzy: I remember hearing about Gerald's performance on the BET Awards... he was definitely a showman. I was slightly disappointed that Patti didn't do "Lady Marmalade" when we saw her. Still, she was amazing!

BookMama: Color me jealous for the 3 shows you mentioned... esp. The Monkees. I wish I had made an effort to see them back when they reunited in the 80s.

Beth: I'll bet that you have some great R.E.M. concert stories! By the way... when you saw The Temptations, was it "The Reunion Tour" when David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks rejoined the group?

Anonymous said...

Great concerts. I would love to see the Police...

The Gal Herself said...

Thanks for the update on Dino! I thought he was sooo cute with those big brown eyes. Good to hear that he's also talented. Sometimes in my girlhood I could pick 'em (Paul McCartney), sometimes I couldn't (Bobby Sherman).

Joy Renee said...

i've never been to a live show, one of the many large lacuna in my life experience due to a fundamentalist upbringing. i've tried to fill some of those lacuna via library and internet but the live show experience can't be stored. i had discovered DVD of famous live shows at the library but only watched a few before our library closed indefinitely in April.

i'm glad you enjoyed my Natalie Merchant TT.

i'm glad you visited because now i have another source for pop culture info.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->