Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Blackboard Jungle Airs On TCM

Get your DVR/VCR ready because on Thursday morning at 4 am EST, the 1955 film "Blackboard Jungle" airs on Turner Classic Movies. This is one of those movies that I practically know by heart, which makes sense because I have seen it well over 50 times. For those who aren't familiar with it, "Blackboard Jungle" tells the story of Richard Dadier (played by Glenn Ford), a new high school English teacher who tries to reach his students despite opposition from them and members of the faculty.

The movie is notable for many reasons in my opinion. The thing that "Blackboard Jungle" is perhaps most remembered for today is its use of "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & his Comets as its theme song. Up until then, films mainly used Tin Pan Alley tunes for their theme songs. Through a twist of fate, director Richard Brooks decided to go with "Rock Around the Clock" (which was a flop when it was first released in 1954) and as a result, movies and music were never the same.

"Blackboard Jungle" also set the standard for films about idealistic teachers faced with a classroom full of uncooperative, disinterested students. Over the years this formula has been used so many times (To Sir With Love, Stand & Deliver, and Lean On Me, just to name a few) that it's practically a sub genre now.

Two other aspects of "Blackboard Jungle" that I find interesting are the ethnic makeup of the student body and the role of the intelligent classroom leader. Although Dadier's students are predominately Caucasian, his classroom also includes Blacks, Hispanics, and an Asian. In addition to this, the aforementioned intelligent classroom leader is one of the black students (Gregory Miller, played by Sidney Poitier). Although these two things may not seem like a big deal now, they were a rarity in mainstream films of the 1950s.

Along with Poitier, "Blackboard Jungle" also features as high schoolers other actors who went on to have successful careers in Hollywood. They include Vic Morrow as Artie West, future director Paul Mazursky as Emanuel Stoker, and Jameel Farah as slow-witted student Santini. Farah later Anglicized his name to Jamie Farr.

4 comments:

Holly Smith said...

oh good! I never did see it the other time you mentioned it. I think my husband disconnected the VCR b/c we never use it, but maybe I can get my mom to DVR it for me. Rock Around the Clock makes me remember being little and dancing with my MawMaw who lived with us. Those are really good memories. If that song doesn't make you happy, you've got problems. (smile)

pjazzypar said...

I have seen it many times, but it is always worth another whirl.

X. Dell said...

You forgot Anne Francis:-)

Malcolm said...

Holly: I hope you are able to see it this week. That's a great story about you dancing to "Rock Around the Clock" with your MawMaw.

Pjazzy: I never get tired of watching it either.

X. Dell: Actually, I didn't forget Anne. Along with Glenn Ford, I chose to just mention the future stars who played high school students in the movie. I included the imdb.com link for anyone who wanted additional cast info. :)

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->