Friday, November 2, 2007

Retro Commercial: The Viewmaster

Back in the day, the View Master was one of the coolest toys around. One year for Christmas, me and my sister got Talking View Masters... ooh!! I remember that mine was blue and that one of the reels I had was for Scooby-Doo. The Scooby gang (aka those meddling kids) were trying to solve the mystery of the Snow Ghost. I watched that reel so many times that I still have the culprit's name ingrained in my memory, but I digress...

Below is a 1971 ad for the GAF View Master. In addition to Henry Fonda, this commercial also features another future Oscar winner. If you have trouble spotting the soon-to-be star, click here.


9 comments:

pjazzypar said...

Heeeeeeeere's Jodie!

The Rock Chick said...

I see a very young Jodie Foster!!! Her face still kind of looks the same....LOL

Lori said...

I loved View Master's as a child. But try as I might, I never really could get my own son into them. Too many other cooler and newer gadgets vying for his attention, I guess.

X. Dell said...

I never realized Jodie Foster worked with Hank Fonda, even though I'd seen that commercial more than I care to. Back in the day, there were a lot of spoofs of it, especially in regards to Fonda's participation in it.

Damien Riley said...

I remember those. They were 3D.

Malcolm said...

Pjazzy: Right on the money!

Jessica: Even then, you could tell that Jodie was an intelligent actress.

Lori: I imagine that most kids today would be amazed that we could be entertained by something so "primitive".

X. Dell: Do you remember any of the specifics regarding the commercials that spoofed this View Master ad? I may have saw some of them when I was a kid, but didn't realize that they were spoofs.

Damien: Here is the link to a View Master Resource site if you are interested:

http://www.vmresource.com/

X. Dell said...

I remember Rich Little on a variety show spoofing it. I remember a standup on late-night spoofing it too. Can't recall his name. After all, that was over thirty years ago.

Malcolm said...

X. Dell: Thanks for the info.

Holly Smith said...

Oh yes. I had one of those. Jodie Foster was very well spoken as such a little girl! It's kind of funny how she was mature beyond her age.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->