Saturday, November 10, 2007

Spin City Playlist For 11/10/07

4 pm hour

Message In A Bottle- The Police
One Monkey Don't Stop No Show- The Honey Cone
Look What You Started- The Temptations
I Wanna Be Your Lover- Prince
Soldier of Love- Donny Osmond
Time Is Time- Andy Gibb
Remember Me- Diana Ross

Common Thread segment: Duets
No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)- Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer
Don't Fight It- Kenny Loggins & Steve Perry
There's Nothing Better Than Love- Luther Vandross & Gregory Hines
Yah Mo B There- James Ingram & Michael McDonald

Can the Can- Suzi Quatro
The Logical Song- Supertramp
Right On Time- The Brothers Johnson

5 pm hour

Rock Me Amadeus- Falco
Criticize- Alexander O'Neal
The Best Disco In Town- The Ritchie Family
How Much I Feel- Ambrosia
Wild Wild West- Kool Moe Dee
The Sign of Fire- The Fixx
Angel In Your Arms- Hot

Now & Then segment's featured artist: Bruce Springsteen
Radio Nowhere (from his new CD "Magic")
Prove It All Night

This Little Girl- Gary "U.S." Bonds
Sweetheart- Franke & the Knockouts
Lido Shuffle- Boz Scaggs
Tonight- Kool & the Gang
Inside My Love- Minnie Riperton

6 pm hour

Saturday In the Park- Chicago
At Midnight (My Love Will Lift You Up)- Rufus feat. Chaka Khan
My Secret (Didja Gitit Yet)- New Edition
Goody Two Shoes- Adam Ant
Breaking the Law- Judas Priest
Too Late- Junior
I'll Take You There- The Staple Singers

On the Flip Side segment:
The Lady Wants Your Money- Wild Cherry (the B-side to "Play That Funky Music")

Don't You Get So Mad- Jeffrey Osborne
Kelly's Eyes- Andre Cymone
Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)- Edison Lighthouse
I Love Making Love To You- Evie Sands
Turning Point- Tyrone Davis
I Don't Believe You Want To Get Up & Dance (Oops Upside Your Head)- The Gap Band
Blister In the Sun- The Violent Femmes

Did any of your faves make this week's playlist. Also, feel free to share any memories that any of these songs bring back for you.


9 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Babe, if I left memories jogged by many of these songs, we'd be here all year.

Great show this week!

pjazzypar said...

Good show as always. I had almost forgot about the duet by Luther and Gregory Hines. I remember how impressed I was at the time (circa 1985) that Gregory Hines sounded more like a singer, than a dancer attempting to sing. You had more favorites of mine throughout the show, Ambrosia, Jeffrey Osborne, The Staple Singers, etc. I always enjoy listening because your show is like a box of Cracker Jacks, I never know what I am going to get and I am always pleasantly surprised by the content.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Fishy likes that Monkey song. I've heard it on the Pickle several times.

Holly Smith said...

I just saw Donny Osmond on Oprah the other day. She showed a little montage of his career over the years, which included a little clips of him singing "Soldier of Love". I remember the song, but I had no idea that he was the one singing it.
My youngest aunt was a huge Donny Osmond fan, so she passed down all her albums and "Osmond" dolls to me. I was the only one my age singing "Deep Purple" and "A My Name is Alice and my Boyfriend's Name is Andy"....My dog chewed off Donny's toes...I still remember the pink and purple outfits.

Malcolm said...

Susan: You can make memories singular. :-) I would love to hear at least one of them.

Pjazzy: The fact that Gregory could sing was a pleasant surprise for me when this song came out. I like your Cracker Jack analogy. When I am on the other end, I love it when a DJ will surprise me by playing something unexpected.

Mistress of the D: I wish I could hear the station where Fishy works. I did find their website and listened to a sound bite where Fishy told a listener that she won tickets to see Springsteen.

Holly: When I was at work on Friday, I was reminded that the Osmonds would be on Oprah that day. I said to myself, "Damn" because I wanted to tape it. Somebody posted the show on You Tube so I did watch part of it today.

Did you ever hear the story behind "Soldier of Love" becoming a hit in America? Because of his wholesome image, many stations weren't willing to give the song a chance. To market the song, some stations played it... but said the singer was a "mystery artist". Listeners lit up the phones requesting the tune. Not long after, it was revealed that Donny Osmond was the singer. It ended up peaking at #2 on the Billboard pop chart.

I got an image of your dog chewing off Donny's toes and it made me laugh.

Lori said...

Sounds like an awesome playlist:) DBF stand for darling boy friend...lol

Samantha_K said...

First I had Soldier of Love running through my head...I tried really hard not to start singing Yah Mo Be There (which reminds me of many things, one being The 40 Year Old Virgin)...We get to Saturday in the Park and I'm writing it down to add to the iPod, Goody Two Shoes is probably the best song ever, and by the time I got to Love Grows I was just a singing mess.
This list made me realize how much I love commercials for compilation cds.

Holly Smith said...

No! I didn't know that. And when I looked at the TV when that little clip played, at first I thought it was Jordan Knight from NKOTB...must have been his hairdo at the time. LOL

Malcolm said...

Lori: Thank you for explaining the DBF abbrev. for me.

Samantha: It's always nice to know that people in the 20s can appreciate 70s and 80s music. I had forgotten that "Yah Mo B There" was in "40 Year Old Virgin" until I read someone's comments on You Tube.

Holly: I never thought about it but you are right... Donny during that time did look like Jordan from NKOTB. When "Soldier of Love" came out, a lot of people said that Donny was borrowing George Michael's "Faith era" image (black leather jacket, jeans, etc.) and they were right too. I'm a sucker for a comeback story.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->