Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5: Real Names of 13 Classic TV Characters

Thirteen Real Names of Classic TV Characters

The characters below rarely used their given names. When you look at some of the names below, it's easy to see why (Reinhold?). How many of these do you remember?

  1. Dorothy Ramsey- Tootie (The Facts of Life)
  2. Roy Hinckley- The Professor (Gilligan’s Island)
  3. Gordon Sims- Venus Flytrap (WKRP In Cincinnati)
  4. Penelope Brewster- Punky
  5. Reinhold Elmore- Dan Fielding (Night Court)
  6. Letitia Lawrence- Buddy (Family)
  7. Eric Cartwright- Hoss (Bonanza)
  8. Clarence Rutherford- Lumpy (Leave It To Beaver)
  9. Andrew Squiggman-Squiggy (Laverne & Shirley)
  10. Evelyn Martin- Angel (The Rockford Files)
  11. Walter Bradley- Cockroach (The Cosby Show)
  12. George Alonzo Gates- Gonzo (Trapper John, MD)
  13. Ernie Pantusso- Coach (Cheers)

Links to other Thursday Thirteens! (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


1. MamaLee gives you 13 reasons to go to work au naturale.

2. Lori tells you about 13 things that she loves that start with the letter "t".

3. Mz. Jackson lists 13 hazards of being a mail carrier

4. Lazy Daisy gives you 13 "g" words that describe her.

5. Wacky Mommy tells you about 13 of her favorite things to do on a hot summer night.

6. Miss Profe lists 13 things that make the summer months special to her.

7. Crux TT is all about Democratic and Republican politicians who did at least one good thing.

8. Are you in the mood for some good one-liners? If so, check out the TT by Comedy Plus.

9. Teamouse has some great brain teasers for their TT.

10. The Gal Herself shares 13 classic movies that are near and dear to her heart.

11. Book Mama gives you an extended TT on what she loves about having kids.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

You learn something new every day!

Happy TT!

Lori said...

Im so bad with names...great list. I would have never known;) Happy TT.

Mz Jackson said...

I remembered Ernie Pantusso, but that's the only one. Great TT, I enjoyed it!

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, some interesting names....how did you remember them all. I was amazed.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know any of those. Happy Thursday to you.

Malcolm said...

Hi Lazy Daisy: In answer to your question, I am a TV freak...what can I say? Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I actually remembered 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, and 11. You can tell where I spent my 60's, 70's and 80's. I was a huge fan of all of the shows that I remembered the real name of the characters. Clair Huxtable was the only one that called Cockroach Walter and I recall an episode of "The Facts of Life" in which Tootie insisted on being called Dorothy. Thanks for the memories.

Marcy said...

Tootie! "The Facts of Life" was one of my favorite sit-coms from my youth! I grew up with FOL. I never missed an episode.

Great TT. Have a nice weekend.:)

Crux said...

Thanks for the memories!
The Crux @ Buck Naked Politics

Sandee said...

Some I remember and some I don't have a clue. Great TT. Have a great day. :)

TeaMouse said...

I never knew any of those before - very interesting.

Malcolm said...

Hi Miss Profe: The Facts of Life was one of my faves as well. Through my high school years, it was a safe bet as to what I would be watching on Wednesday nights at 9.

I actually had the chance to meet Lisa Whelchel a few years ago. When I was introduced to her, she said in that classic Blair Warner voice, "I know who you are."

Malcolm said...

Hi Pjazzy: I forgot that Clair called Cockroach by his given name.

Was the ep of The Facts of Life where Tootie insisted on being called Dorothy from the latter years? I didn't watch it as much during that time.

I remember in the Facts of Life Reunion movie (which wasn't very good) that she went by her given name, which makes sense. Calling a 30-something woman Tootie just doesn't seem right. It's kind of like calling a grown man "Beaver", but I digress.

The Gal Herself said...

You know, if never occurred to me that The Professor HAD a name. But now you've got me thinking. Was Mrs. Howell's real first name "Lovey," or was that a nickname?

Anonymous said...

Hey Malcolm,

Tootie wanted to be called Dorothy in one of the episodes in which she was feeling neglected and left out by her older roommates. I do think it was in the mid to latter stages of the show. Check out this website for more trivia about names and such.
http://www.jayp.net/trivia/entert01.htm

the gal herself,

Lovey's name is Eunice Wentworth Howell.

Malcolm said...

Hi Pjazzy: Thanks for the FOL/website info and for picking up the slack on the question regarding Lovey's real name.

Susan Demeter said...

I did not even know most of those! Like the professor on Gilligan's Island, I didn't realise the character had a proper name LOL!

Happy TT and thanks for stopping by the Zoo .. :)

Anonymous said...

Fun list! I only knew a couple of them.

My TT is up - 13 things I love about having kids.

Lori said...

Nice list. "Cockroach" was one of my favorite "Cosby" characters, but I would have never guessed his name (Walter Bradley). I always wondered what happened to his character though. He just sort of disappeared one season . . . I've long assumed there was a "story" behind it.

(the other) Lori (smile)

Malcolm said...

Hi (the other) Lori:

According to imdb.com, Carl Anthony Payne II (aka Cockroach) was fired from "The Cosby Show" because he refused to cut his hair at Bill Cosby's insistence.

Anonymous said...

Malcolm,

I just caught the fact that you mentioned meeting Lisa Whelchel and she said that she knew who you were. Did she know you from your stint as a television celeb in your own right?

Malcolm said...

Hi pjazzy: Yes, I met Lisa when we were both in NYC for that year's TV Land upfront luncheon. FOL was one of the show's that TV Land was adding to its fall lineup that year.

soleil said...

penelope, really? i had no idea. i really just thought her name was punky. . .

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->