Friday, July 27, 2007

Whoopi Goldberg and Sherri Shepherd Set To Join The View

According to reports, ABC is close to bringing some much needed diversity back to "The View" by signing Whoopi Goldberg and Sherri Shepherd as regulars. Goldberg would most likely serve as the show's moderator, a role previously held by Rosie O'Donnell. Shepherd (whose credits include "Beauty Shop" and the sitcom "Less Than Perfect") has been a guest host for "The View" over a dozen times since the departure of Star Jones-Reynolds.

Although I do not watch "The View" on a regular basis, I have checked out some of the more tumultuous clips from the show courtesy of You Tube. Say what you will about Rosie O'Donnell, but her outspoken nature did provide the daytime chatfest with some must-see moments. In addition to her feuds with co-star Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Donald Trump, the former "Queen of Nice" also came under fire for racial insensitivity when she simulated the Chinese language in a segment last December.

When Whoopi wants to be, she too can be controversial. Do you remember her self-titled sitcom from a few years ago? During its brief time on NBC, the series angered many people with its left leaning humor. Oh and let's not forget the infamous 1993 skit written by Goldberg which had her then boyfriend Ted Danson appearing in blackface.

If Whoopi and Sherri are hired for "The View", will this cause you to tune in or tune out?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have watched "The View" very sporadically since its inception in 1997. I am a huge fan of Whoopi's and I find Shepherd to be quite humorous. I probably will watch a little in the beginning to see what's going on and what controversy will get stirred up (I can see Whoopi and Hasselbeck clashing) with the opinions of the commentators of the show often being diametrically opposed. I won't watch regularly because I am just no longer a fan of daytime fare (no Oprah, no judge shows, no soap operas, etc).

BeckEye said...

Sure, Whoopi can be controversial but she has a better sense of humor about HERSELF than Rosie does. Rosie may enjoy poking fun at everyone and everything, but she takes herself way too seriously and that's what makes her so unlikeable.

Lori said...

I stopped watching "The View" after Meridith left. I never watched anything but the hot topics, anyway. Star got on my nerves, but I still thought Barbara gave her a bum deal.

When it comes to Rosie, I agree with beckeye, she takes herself much TOO seriously. She also comes off as a bully and a whiner.

Frankly, I'm surprised they picked Whoopi. I always thought she'd do well there, but figured she didn't have the "image" they were after. With the exception of the whole Ted Danson, black-face fiasco, I've always enjoyed Whoopi and her humor.

Malcolm said...

Meredith was definitely the one cast member that I could stomach on a regular basis. As for Rosie, I got maxed out on her when she appeared on one of the celebrity editions of WWTBAM. Even when she wasn't in the hot seat, she kept making comments and asides in a desperate stab to be the center of attention. I was like, "shut the hell up!" I agree that Rosie doesn't have a sense of humor about herself. She is the classic case of someone who can dish it out, but can't take it.

Unknown said...

I will definitely watch a few episodes and see how all the ladies interact. I agree Rosies outspokeness did bring attention to the View! Glad I stopped by!@

Malcolm said...

Hi Amy: Thanks for checking out my blog. Rosie's time on "The View" had become so talked about that sports radio jocks were even discussing it! I think that the hiring of Whoopi and Sherri is a good move on ABC's part.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->