Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ellen Degeneres and the Saga of Iggy the Dog

Don't you hate it when you set out to do what you think is a good thing and it goes wrong? By now I am sure that most of you have heard about Ellen DeGeneres and the animal rescue organization that took back her adopted dog (Iggy) after she gave the puppy away without the agency's permission.

Although I am not a pet lover, the clip below of Ellen's tearful plea really gets to me. It's clear to me that she is in pain and doesn't want those two kids to get penalized because of the mistake she made. I know that Ellen did sign the agreement stating that she would return the dog to the agency if she couldn't keep it. Based on her comments, it sounds as if Ellen wasn't aware that giving away the dog was a violation of the agreement. I can also understand that the agency has the rule in place to protect the animals. However, I think that there are instances such as this where exceptions can be made to the rule. On the other hand, some have suggested that Ellen could easily buy the two kids another dog and that would be the end of it. Some might argue that this doesn't take into account that (according to Ellen) the two kids bonded with Iggy during the two weeks that they had it.

After searching for a photo of Ellen that I would include with this post, I found that this story has taken an uglier turn. According to the operator of the animal rescue organization that took the dog away, she has been deluged with threatening emails and phone calls. For the full story, click here. As I said earlier, the animal rescue organization could have made an exception and let the family keep the dog. It's probably a moot point now because I have heard that the dog has been placed with another family. But making threatening phone calls and sending hate e-mails is going way too far!

Regardless of whether or not you are a pet lover, I am anxious to hear your thoughts on this entire matter.

Ellen DeGeneres photo courtesy of the AP

14 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I realize she made a mistake, but you would think a shelter would be glad to see the dog in a loving home.

~shakes head~

Holly Smith said...

Cameron and I watch Ellen every single day while I'm feeding him. (This might explain Cam's taste in music :) I know what an animal lover Ellen is. She would not have placed that dog with anyone that was not super caring. This is just an example of the animal shelter folks on a wild power trip. With so many dogs in shelters, you'd think they could make an exception. Sounds like they could also use an extra helping of common sense.

Open Grove Claudia said...

This is so sad.

K said...

I still haven't quite figured out what's going on with Ellen and the dog (I don't have time to read your whole post right now), but I do know that I am tired of seeing and hearing about it all over the internet and on the news. (No offense to you at all! I'm talking about Yahoo, People, MSN etc.) Anyway, thanks for visiitng my Thurs. 13 list earlier. Have a great day! Looks like a fun site here, so I will be back!

The Rock Chick said...

Really, I think the pet rescue agency went a little overboard. I understand that they'd like the dog back if it didn't work out with the people who adopted it. I can understand that. But with the thousands of animals who need good homes and since the dog had already been living and doing well with another family, I think they should have just checked on the dog, seen that and let it be.

To go into someone's home like that and take the dog for what is essentially a contract violation or no small dogs with kids under 14, not abuse, neglect or anything like that is ridiculous.

Personally, I don't even know how they could do that since I do know in like 90% of this country, dogs are considered personal property. If Ellen paid for the dog from this rescue place, you'd think the dog would be hers.

I think this totally has to do with her celebrity status. It's ridiculous that the rescue people would be subjected to death threats, too. People threatening human lives over where a dog lives is a little insane, too.

It's really a sad story all the way around.

Unknown said...

I am a huge animal lover and have worked with many no kill shelter and pet organizations, but some are just down right insane with their rigidity. The first thing that agency should have done was research the family the dog was with to see if they could have placed it there.

Bar L. said...

I agree that the animal rescue place should have and could have and STILL CAN let these kids have the dog. It was a mistake, she gave the dog to a loving family not Michael Vick! If they care about the dog they should have investigated the family and then when they determined that it was a good fit, let them have the dog.

Of course the kids are bonded with this dog! Two weeks is a LONG time. I have bonded with dogs in two hours!

Melissa said...

I think that the owner of the kennel is just trying to get as much "free" publicity as she can. I think Ellen was generous in giving the dog to a loving home and not back to the kennel. If they don't return the dog to her or the children they should give her back her money!!

Melissa said...

I think that the owner of the kennel is trying to get as much "free" publicity as she can. She needs to give the dog back or give the money back. Ellen was very generous in giving the dog to the children.

grumpiolman said...

Rules are rules and Degenerate broke the most important one. This whole affair could have probably been avoided had she called the agency, discussed the problem and told them she had found an alternative home.
It showed no class to boo hoo on TV and even less class to have a spokesperson make threatening calls to the manager of the shelter.

Damien Riley said...

All celebrity hooplah. Anybody else that takes a dog, or should I say SAVES a dog from a shelter can do whatever they freagin well want to with the dog. Happens every day.

Vixen of Vixensden.com said...

I find the rescue organizations behaviour atrocious. The only reason they gave for not allowing the dog to stay was because they don't place small dogs with families who have children under 14 for the dog's safety. I find that an entirely ridiculous statment. I have three children who grew up with our five chihuahuas (and their puppies since we were breeders for years) and I have two small grandchildren. The dog had not been injured and those poor children's hearts were broken. Not that I think anyone should be threatening them, but they did make a mistake.

Amazing Gracie said...

This whole affair has made me nauseous. I am definitely a pet lover (2 parrots - 2 dogs) but the shelter is acting as though Iggy is a child! As for the kids having to be 14 years old, that's just crap! I wish people paid as much attention to abused and neglected children as they do animals.
Death threats? Ridiculous!!!
I feel for Ellen because her heart is in the right place.

Malcolm said...

Thanks to all who have commented so far. It came as no surprise to me that this post would elicit some very passionate responses. Although Grumpiolman is in the minority thus far in regards to all who have commented on this post, that's OK. As I have said many times before, one of the things that I love about blogging is hearing different perspectives on various issues. But come on Grumpiolman, referring to Ellen as "Degenerate"?! If I didn't know better, I would think that you were Jerry Falwell reincarnated.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->