Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Jazz Singer Premieres On TCM

On Tuesday at 8 pm EST, TCM premieres the 1927 film "The Jazz Singer". Starring Al Jolson, the film tells the story of an Orthodox cantor's son who defies his father's wishes that he follow in his footsteps and instead realizes his dream of becoming a jazz singer.

For most, the film is notable for two reasons:

1. It was the first feature-length motion picture with synchronized dialogue sequences.
2. The lead character's use of blackface in his Broadway act

Since I have never seen "The Jazz Singer", I am looking forward to its premiere on TCM. Because much has been said and written (both positive and negative) about this film, I want to see it for myself before passing judgement. In addition to the film itself, I am interested to hear TCM host Robert Osborne's introduction of the film. Because TCM has a reputation of doing a fine job addressing the history of Hollywood's depiction and treatment of blacks, I am hoping that they won't sugarcoat the blackface scenes that take place in the film. Although I am prepared to be offended by these scenes, I am trying to keep an open a mind. In addition to the 8 pm showing, TCM airs an encore presentation of "The Jazz Singer" on Wednesday morning at 4:30 am EST.

1 comment:

pjazzypar said...

I use to get really pissed about what I perceived as racism in older motion pictures. I think I have mellowed out (older and wiser I hope) and can now look at what I use to deem offensive in the context of the times and what was happening during that point in history. What that said I will definitely be watching, if only to hear what Mr. Osborne has to say.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->