Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Thursday Thirteen # 15: TV Shows That I Own On DVD



Thirteen TV Shows That I Own On DVD

I love the idea of TV shows on DVD. The format gives life to many series that are rarely rerun. I also love that you get the series uncut, commercial free, and without annoying split screen or sped up credits. Sorry, but if I am watching "The Golden Girls" on Lifetime, I don't need to be reminded about the woman in peril/all men are scum movie that they'll will be showing later on in the day. If the set has special features, that makes it all the better. Below are some of the series that are in my collection.

1. Degrassi Junior High: Season 2: The original Degrassi is arguably the best school-based TV series ever. I first discovered this show back on PBS in the 1980s. I liked that they used kids who were actually school-aged and didn’t look like they were aspiring models. Plus, the acting and the storylines were realistic as well.

2. Eerie, Indiana - The Complete Series: I used to watch this series when it orig. aired Sunday nights on NBC in the early 90s. The best way for me to describe it is what would happen if you crossed The Wonder Years with The Twilight Zone.

3. Family - The Complete First and Second Seasons: I was too young to catch this series during its orig. 1976-80 run. However, I watched it religiously when it was briefly rerun while I was in high school. Although the set doesn’t have any special features, it is still worthwhile. Some of the guest stars in the first and second seasons include: James Woods, Tommy Lee Jones, and Genie Francis.

4. Freaks and Geeks- The Complete Series: Set in suburban Detroit in 1980, "Freaks and Geeks" is one of those series that belongs in the "brilliant, but cancelled" category. Although I did catch it a couple of times when it aired on NBC, I didn’t really get into it until I checked out the complete DVD set from a local library. Some of the special features include: multiple commentaries by several cast members, audition footage, and deleted scenes.

5. Good Morning World: This sitcom ran for 26 episodes during the 1967-1968 season. It starred Ronnie Schell (Duke Slater from Gomer Pyle) and Joby Baker as the hosts of a morning radio show. One of the supporting players on the show was a pre-Laugh In Goldie Hawn. The set also includes a new interview by Ronnie Schell.

6. The Greatest American Hero- Season One: I used to watch this superhero spoof all the time on ABC back in the early 80s. No matter how many times it happened, I never got tired of watching Ralph (played by William Katt) crash into wall, bushes, etc. because he didn’t know how to use his superhero suit properly (he misplaced the manual when the aliens delivered it to him... don’t ask). The DVD set also includes new interviews and the unsold pilot for a spinoff called “The Greatest American Heroine”.

7. In Living Color: Season 1: It’s fun to go back and watch such skits as the “Homeboy Shopping Network”, “Lean On Me Beautiful”, and the classic Star Trek spoof “The Wrath of Farrakhan”. Although the set includes a featurette on The Fly Girls, Jennifer Lopez is nowhere to be found (she didn’t become a member until the 2nd season).

8. The Monkees: Season 1: Along with the antics of Mike, Micky, Davy, and Peter, this set has some really cool features, including: some of their commercials that they did for Kelloggs’ and Yardley Black Label after shave, audition call sheets, and the original pilot (which features songwriters Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart handling the vocals instead of The Monkees). Another cool feature is that if you don't want to watch the complete episodes, you have the option of viewing just the song "romps".

9. Picket Fences- Season 1: I had been waiting for this to hit DVD for quite some time. Although I didn’t watch it this when it first aired, I gave it a try when TNN started showing reruns a few years ago. This is one of those rare series that can be laugh out loud funny, thought provoking, and touching all in one episode. The lone special feature on the set is a documentary short that includes current interviews by cast members.

10. Police Squad! The Complete Series: Although only 6 episodes were produced, this to me is still one of the funniest shows to ever air on TV. If you are a fan of “Airplane” style humor, you will love this show. If not, don’t even bother. Some of the features on the set include a new interview with Leslie Nielsen, a gag reel, and selected commentary.

11. Scrubs- The Complete First Season: Another one of my all-time favorite shows. It can make you laugh and make you cry all in the span of 22 minutes. I also love the unexpected pop culture references that the show throws at you: the 1st season has people like Jimmie Walker, Carrot Top, and Louie Anderson appearing as themselves in some of J.D.’s fantasy sequences. Also guest-starring in episodes from the 1st season are John Ritter (as J.D.’s dad), Markie Post (as Elliot’s mother), and cast members from “St. Elsewhere”.

12. What's Happening- The Complete First Season: I used to watch this one all the time with my family back in the late 70s. Although the DVD set contains no special features, it’s still cool to catch such episodes as “The Burger Queen” (where Dee is chosen to star in a fast food commercial), “My Three Tons” (which features the dance troupe The Lockers), and “The Hospital Stay” (where Dee befriends an embittered ex-Negro League baseball player).

13. Wonderfalls- The Complete Series: In case you aren’t familiar with the show (which briefly aired on FOX in 2004), it’s about a Brown University grad who gets a job working at a tourist shop on Niagara Falls. In each episode, she hears the voices of inanimate objects (a wax lion, a brass monkey, a wind-up penguin toy, etc.) --which instruct her to help out total strangers. Of course, no one else can hear them. It’s sort of like an acid-drenched version of “Touched by An Angel”. I read somewhere that the show was originally titled “Touched by A Crazy Person”. One of the co-creators of "Wonderfalls" also produced the Showtime series "Dead Like Me".

What TV series do you have in your DVD collection?

Don't forget to vote in this week's poll (located in the upper left hand corner of the page)

(leave your link in comments, so that others can visit you)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


41 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

I loved the Greatest American Hero! You have got a fabulous collection! My T13 is up at AF Wife

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I actually don't own any TV shows! Do you love me anyway, Malcolm?

Greatest American Hero? LOVED it -- I don't remember how old I was when it was on, but like you, I never got tired of seeing the guy blunder about.

Happy TT!

ellen b. said...

We own some like NCIS, House, Firefly ...
Happy TT to you...
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/thursday-thirteen-3-california/

Chelle Y. said...

I am NOT going to ADMIT that I love Degrassi! ;)

Also, I was so sad the "Freaks and Geeks" was canceled. That was such an awesome show. NBC did not give it a chance!

Nicholas said...

Eerie Indiana was a very strange show! I loved it. They showed it in England after it was cancelled and I was very sad to know that there would be no more.

Pea in a Pod said...

Awesome list! Hubby loves the Scrubs! :D

Mines up here;
http://yennygirl.com/?p=920

Jenny McB said...

We don't have any here, but I would love to get House for Christmas and I think Scrubs would be a good gift for my youngest.

We used to watch a lot of reruns and I think I would enjoy Taxi.

pjazzypar said...

I have the "In Living Color" first season. I use to have the first season of "Good Times" until I gave it to my son who is a fanatic of the show. I also have "Dead Like Me", "Martin" first season, and my beloved "Boondocks". "Wonderfalls" intrigues me and I wouldn't mind giving it a look. Great list!

Janet said...

Oh, man, I loved In Living Color!!! Wonderfalls sounds interesting...

Cinnamon Girl said...

Movies I own but not TV shows. Oh wait! I own the first two seasons of Buffy.

The Gal Herself said...

Wow! I loved Family but haven't thought of it in years. Buddy and Willie were great. Thanks for reminding me. PS I have 3 seasons of That Girl.

Lori said...

What about "Sex in the City"...lol...I think thats the only series that i have on DVD. Great list...I love Scrubs. Happy TT.

Journeywoman said...

I loved the Greatest American Hero.

I am also a huge fan of Picket Fences. I look forward to when they get seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

Karen said...

Boy, this brought back memories!! I have really started to get into Scrubs and I watched the original Monkees when it was on TV. The only TV shows I have on DVD are Star Trek (the classic series of course), Magnum PI and X-Files. Oh and I own a VHS of a couple of Man from U.N.C.L.E. shows which are an absolute collectors item!!
great TT!

Eimi said...

Go get some grey's anatomy!

Bethanne said...

I didn't recognize any of those until In living color... :shock:

Love scrubs.

Rims said...

Thats a nice list....I donbt watch TV much but I did catch up some of the episodes of Picket Fences though...
Happy TT!!

Xakara said...

The Greatest American Hero...me wants it. *sigh* Must save more money. :)

I think my favorite DVDs right now are Firefly, The L Word, House which I just borrowed from someone, and the one I'm waiting to get is Miracles, the short lived ABC show with Skeet Ulrich.

~X

Bloggers said...

Great list. I am glad you wrote it because me and my daughter were trying to remember that show that she used to watch and we knew it had Indiana in the title. Eerie ,Indiana.

My 13 is up on
Working at Home mom

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I need to get the Monkees on DVD. Both seasons...but they are so expensive :(

Oddly I only own one show on DVD...and I have most of the series that way. UK's Coupling. I do have Red Dwarf on VHS though :)

Gattina said...

I don't know any of these TV shows we have others here in Europe. To your question if we are tall, we are not that tall my husband 1,89 and I 1.72 m

Sparky Duck said...

I like DeGrassi Next Generation better, but maybe its because I can not get passed the bad hair in the original.

"Believe it or not Im walking on air..."

Denise Patrick said...

Nice list, but I'm sorry to say I've never seen any of those shows.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Joyismygoal said...

you have some interesting ones How did yougethooked on FAMILY? i used to watch the Monkees:> i have all the Gilmore Girls and some Friends

Unknown said...

Ah, I don't have any of those. As a matter of fact, I've seen very few of them...

I have ass 3 seasons of Deadwood, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Alias, Heroes, and some Star Trek and Highlander and X-Files on VHS

Malcolm said...

Special K Toni: Thanks for stopping by. If I didn't already, I will be sure to pay a visit to your TT (I sometimes lose track of who I visited).

Susan Helene: Although you don't own any TV shows on DVD, I won't hold that against you. Now if you said you don't own a DVD player, I might have to reconsider. (smile)

Yeah, Ralph (The GAH) never did quite get the hang of that red suit. Crashing into the bushes probably wasn't bad, but the brick walls... ouch!

Ellen B: I have heard that Firefly was pretty good. That's one I may have to check out.

Chelle: It's OK, really it's OK to admit your love for Degrassi. Here's a blast that you will probably remember... the Zit Remedy (Joey, Wheels, and Snake's rock band). You are so right about NBC's treatment of "Freaks and Geeks". They won't get behind a show like that, but yet they promoted the hell out of the U.S. version of "Coupling" a few seasons ago... that show stunk.

Nicholas: I don't know if they showed it in England, but they briefly revived "Eerie, Indiana" on Saturday morning TV a few years after the original. I didn't see it, but I believe the characters were the same, but with different actors because the original ones were too old at that point.

Yen: Thanks for stopping by. Glad to hear that your husband is down with Scrubs.

Jen McB: Taxi would be a good addition to my collection as well. If you get Scrubs for your youngest, let me know what they think of it.

Pjazzy: I need to at least get the next 2 seasons of In Living Color... one of these days. I might invest in "Dead Like Me" and "Boondocks" as well. I caught part of the DLM marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel last month and really enjoyed it. Let me know what you think if you happen to check out Wonderfalls.

Janet: If you like shows that are out of the ordinary, you can't go wrong with Wonderfalls. I have to thank my ex-girlfriend for getting me that for my b-day last year.

Starlight: A guy I used to work with loaned me some of the VHS tapes of Buffy that he owned. I thought it was really well done. That's one show that I would have to go the whole 9 on and get the entire series. Since I like the basics such as food and shelter, I am going to pass for now... but maybe someday. Thanks for stopping by.

The Gal Herself: You would think that "Family" would have been a natural for one of these cable channels like TV Land or Hallmark to rerun. I think the studio is going to leave me hanging because I haven't heard anything about them releasing the remainder of the series on DVD.

I used to watch That Girl all the time when I was a kid. If you are interested, there is an excellent companion book to the series called "That Book About That Girl". It's out of print, but you may be able to find it at a reasonable price.

Lori: When I had HBO, I used to watch Sex and the City on a regular basis. That wouldn't be a bad addition to my collection... at least a season or two.

Malcolm said...

Pam: I hope I am wrong, but I think the studio is going to leave us hanging in regards to releasing the remaining seasons of Picket Fences. If you have heard anything to the contrary, feel free to let me know.

Lara Angelina: I wouldn't mind owning a season or two of Magnum P.I. To me, that is the 2nd greatest detective series of all time (behind The Rockford Files). I caught The Man from U.N.C.L.E. on TNT a few times. I wish I had watched it more.

Amy: Sorry, but Grey's Anatomy won't be occupying any space in my DVD collection. I saw it a few times and it wasn't too bad though.

Morgan: I looked at my TT again and noticed that the first few on the list are short-lived, obscure or both. If you use NetFlix, you might want to see if some of them are available.

Rims: Thanks for stopping by. I have my friend Cheri to thank for turning me on to Picket Fences.

Xakara: Wow, my listing of The Greatest American Hero is really bringing back memories for you and some of the other commenters. I had forgotten all about Miracles. It seems like it was one of those "blink and you will miss it" shows. I am glad that the studio saw fit to release it on DVD.

Bloggers: I am glad to hear that I was able to help you and your daughter remember Eerie Indiana. Thanks for visiting.

Mistress of the Dark: Knowing that you are a fan of The Monkees, I was surprised to hear that you didn't own either of the DVD sets. I hear you though about the prices... that's why I held off on getting the 2nd season. If you haven't already, you might want to check Amazon...they often have some pretty good deals.

Gattina: That surprises me about none of those shows being aired in Europe. I know that comedy doesn't translate well, but I thought that a show like Picket Fences might have a chance of airing on your side of the globe.

By the way, thanks for answering my question. Since you mentioned on your TT that your son was 6'6", I was curious as to whether or not he inherited it from you or your husband.

Sparky Duck: I caught the Next Generation a few times and really liked it. My ex-girlfriend and her teenage daughter were big fans of the show. As a side note, my ex named her daughter after one of the Degrassi characters (Caitlin).

Denise: I keep forgetting that you are not much of a TV watcher or at least you don't watch as much offbeat stuff as I do (smile). Anyways, thanks for stopping by.

Joyismygoal: When I was a teenager, a TV station in Lansing (WILX) ran "Family" weekday afternoons for about a year or two. I really liked the acting (esp. Kristy McNichol and Sada Thompson) and the realistic storylines. I watched The Gilmore Girls once and thought it was well done. I have heard mostly good things about it (at least before creator Amy Palladino left). I need to see when it airs in reruns so I can check it out again.

Lorelei: How ironic, the poster above commented about Gilmore Girls and you share the name of one of the lead characters.

You have a really nice collection yourself. I bought Family Guy for one of my nieces... she really loves it. She told me about the ep. where Stewie beats the hell out of Brian for not paying a debt that he owes. I have the You Tube clip of that beat down saved in my favorites.

Open Grove Claudia said...

What a fabulous list! I love that you have so many comedies. We tend to own dramas but owning comedies is probably wiser!

Happy TT.

Vixen of Vixensden.com said...

Great, great list. Reminded me of some shows I loved, but forgot. Gonna have to get me some DVDs!

Happy TT
http://vixensden.wordpress.com/2007/10/04/thursday-thirteen-14/

Moondancer said...

Okay, I admit it, I LOVE #8 and wish I owned them.

http://moondancerdrake.livejournal.com/

Holly Smith said...

My husband has the Magnum, P.I. seasons 1 and 2. I also bought him Seasons 1 and 2 of Seinfeld, which we've yet to watch. Seinfeld is always still on one channel or another! We just rented Season 1 of Taxi on Netflix. I love the fact that there are no commercials!
What's up with Rue McClanahan not getting votes? I'm about to have to change my vote to give her some love! (I voted for Sophia, of course - b/c she IS EXACTLY like my MawMaw - only shorter)

Jean Bauhaus said...

Wonderfalls and Freaks & Geeks were both awesome and deserved more of a chance than they got. Great list. Happy TT!

Malcolm said...

Moondancer: Like Colin Hay (lead singer for Men At Work) said years ago, "Who doesn't love The Monkees".

Holly: A lady that I dated a couple of years ago bought me the Seinfeld Season 1 and 2 set. That set is loaded with special features... the studio did a great job of putting that together.

I was wondering the same thing about Rue (Blanche) not getting any votes. It's ironic because she was the one who got most of the love on the show. My choice would be between Dorothy and Sophia.

Jeanjeanie: I agree with what you said about F & G and Wonderfalls. That's why I am glad that studios are releasing these shows on DVD so that people get the chance to see them.

Rebecca said...

With the exception of In Living Color - I've never seen an episode of any of those, many I've never even heard of... :-0
Happy TT13 :-)

Crux said...

I just got Bewitched 3rd season: tres fun. I love that the older shows are on DVD now (last year I got some Mary Tyler Moore's and a Murphy Brown).

J. Lynne said...

I loved Eerie, Indiana! It was such a shame that it was so short-lived.

I also loved The Monkees, though I didn't see the original airing.

I have the BBC's Ultraviolet, Firefly, and three seasons of Smallville.

Happy TT!

The Rock Chick said...

Great choices in TV on DVD, Malcolm!! I used to love Family and The Monkees! I remember racing home from school to watch them.

We have the Friends series and MASH, but those are the only TV shows I've actually bought on DVD...I didn't even realize some of these shows were out there. I'm going to have to do some shopping!

Happy TT
Jessica The Rock Chick

tanabata said...

Gosh I haven't even heard of most of these. I do remember watching Degrassi Junior High though many years ago. House M.D. is a must-have on DVD for me.

Malcolm said...

Frigga: When you sent me an email stating that you don't have cable TV, that helped explain a lot. Since your email mentioned your love for "My So Called Life", I am pretty sure that you would also enjoy "Freaks and Geeks". In addition to being set in high school, both shows only produced 19 episodes. That fact that I know that makes me freakish or geekish... depending on who you ask.

Crux: Bewitched has always been a fave of mine. I esp. loved when Uncle Arthur and Serena would show up.

J. Lynne: I have heard a lot of good things about Smallville. I caught part of an episode a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. I just need to keep an eye out for the rerun cycle so that I can catch it from the beginning.

Jessica: M*A*S*H is one my all-time favorite shows. However, I have held off on buying the DVDs because they don't have special features. I am afraid that if I do, the studio will then come out with "deluxe" editions that are loaded with special features. It makes me mad that none of the M*A*S*H sets have any features. I have watched a couple of M*A*S*H retrospectives that showed outtakes, interviews, etc. The studio should put this and more on the DVDs.

Tanbata: I may watch a little Degrassi Junior High this weekend. House is another one of those shows that I have never watched. Maybe I'll sample it this season.

Tink said...

I have Star Trek (TNG, DS9 and VOY) and Charmed complete.
Thanks for visiting my Tolkien TT!

Eimi said...

holy crap. I remember picket fences. My mom used to love that show!

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->