Friday, April 4, 2008

The New Kids: Back On the Block

The New Men On the Block, (l to r) Joey McIntyre, Jon Knight, Donnie Wahlberg, Jordan Knight, and Danny Wood

After several months of having the media and aging teenyboppers wondering "will they or won't they", the New Kids On the Block announced on Friday morning that they will all sleep with each other. Seriously, the "Right Stuff" quintet announced on NBC's "The Today Show" that they have reunited after an almost 15 year layoff. The reunion will include a tour and a new album.

I know to some, this announcement is another sign that the end of the world is nearer than we think. I think that for many guys, their feelings towards the Boston boy band depends on whether or not they had a girlfriend who was a New Kids On the Blockhead. Because my girlfriend at the time was in her early 20s during the New Kids' peak, she wasn't shrieking the names of Joey, Jordan, Donnie, etc. Therefore, I didn't hate them the way some of my younger male counterparts did. Although my girlfriend liked some of their songs, she was more into such sophisticated fare as Paula Abdul and Milli Vanilli.

What are your feelings about NKOTB Part II?

8 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

Yeah, I was one of those crazers for NKOTB! I would go see them if they were coming to my neck of the woods. I am not willing to drive far for them or pay some outregous amount for the ticket though...

The Rock Chick said...

I don't think The BackStreet Boys are too much younger than me...5 years, maybe..I can't say I was ever screaming and screeching over them, but I did enjoy their music and I think it would be fun to see them if the tickets didn't cost all that much.

I hear they have a whole bunch of new tunes, too!

pjazzypar said...

I wouldn't go anywhere near those New Edition knock offs.

Holly Smith said...

I was definitely an NKOTB fanatic. My dad even stood in line with my friend and I at 5am to get concert tickets (1989??). Gotta love my dad. That was one of only 2 concerts I went to as a kid. (the other one was the Monkees reunion concert at Six Flags) I'm indifferent about them now...since I've seen the E True Hollywood Story on them (or something like it) where I learned about all their bad boy behavior. I'm officially over them...although one day I did catch myself listening to a few of their Christmas Album songs on Youtube....I think it was "Funky Funky Christmas" when they were on Arsenio Hall..LOL

avogle said...

Hated 'em. But, I am soooo looking forward to this reunion. I have an over/under bet going on how long it takes Jon Knight to pull a hammy rockin a Step By Step power move. I'm thinking of taking a few weeks out of my schedule to follow them on tour.

Thembi Ford said...

I loooooved Donnie Wahlberg and he is still so cute to me. I won't be paying more than $20 to see them in concert, though...

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I didn't like NKOTB the first time around. I can't believe they are coming back. More bad music to fill the airways.

~sigh~

Malcolm said...

Ivanhoe: I don't know whereabouts in OH you live, but I am guessing that NKOTB would probably play at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.

The Rock Chick: It'll be interesting to hear if NKOTB's maturity translates to their new music.

Pjazzy: When watching the "Behind the Music" episode on New Edition, Bobby Brown appeared to be a little bitter in regards to the success of NKOTB. I guess I can't blame him... but if he wants to be mad at anyone maybe it should be at New Edition/NKOTB mastermind Maurice Starr.

Holly: I found on You Tube that clip of them performing "Funky Funky Christmas" on Arsenio. I wonder why the fifth member (Jon Knight) wasn't there.

What's A Donzer: Since Jon moved over to the real estate biz after his NKOTB days, it'll be interesting to see how sharp his dance steps are.

Thembi: I have a feeling they won't have any concert tix in the $20 range, but you never know. I also wonder how many shows (if any) they will cancel due to slow ticket sales.

The Mistress of the D: Even though you admitted to being amused by Hannah Montana a couple of weeks ago, I still would have been surprised if you had said you liked NKOTB (past or present).

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->