Saturday, September 22, 2007

100 Greatest TV Characters

The Bravo Channel came out with a list of the 100 Greatest TV Characters. I caught part of the 5 part series last year, but had forgotten about it. Thanks to pjazzypar (a regular visitor to my blog) for sending me the link to the complete list of characters (apparently, they reaired the special on Saturday morning).

Just like any list, there is always going to be complaints regarding who did and didn't make the cut. However, I will say that Bravo's compilation is not nearly as bad as some of the shitty-ass lists by VH-1 (case in point, their list of the 100 Greatest Kid Stars of All Time). I liked the fact that the compilers of the list recognized the rich history of TV and included such characters from the Golden Age such as Joe Friday (Dragnet), Sgt. Ernie Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show), and Bret Maverick (Maverick).

My guess is that characters from daytime dramas weren't considered because soap icons such as Erica Kane (All My Children) and Luke & Laura (General Hospital) should definitely be included. Whether you watch the soaps or not, I don't think you can deny that these characters transcend their genre and have become a big part of American pop culture.

The first 5 below are 4 removals and 1 adjustment that I would make to the list. In parentheses is the character's ranking.

1. Artie from "The Larry Sanders Show" (#96)- one minor beef about the list is that I think Bravo's website should have considered putting the name of the TV shows immediately after some of the character's names. When I first read the list, I was like, "who the hell is Artie"? I had to go to Wikipedia to be reminded who he was (since the character has no last name, I felt lucky that it came up on my first search). I know that Artie was a popular character on the show, but one of the 100 greatest... I don't think so.

2. Lt. Castillo from "Miami Vice" (#89)- As much as I enjoyed Edward James Olmos' terse portrayal as the superior of Crockett and Tubbs, I wouldn't put him on this list.

3. Ellenor Frutt from "The Practice" (#76)

4. Dick Solomon from "3rd Rock From the Sun" (#72)

5. I wouldn't have ranked Carrie Bradshaw of "Sex and the City" at #11. Although she deserves to be on the list, I wouldn't put her ahead of such icons as Hawkeye Pierce, Barney Fife, and J.R. Ewing, just to name a few.

Below are 4 additions and one change that I would make:

1. Fred Flintstone
2. Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie)
3. Gilligan
4. Pete, Linc, and Julie (The Mod Squad)
5. The cast of The Simpsons instead of just Homer-(who made the list at #5).

Below is the link to the complete list. What changes would you make?

100 Greatest TV Characters

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you the list was not half bad in comparison to the stuff that shows up on VH1 and E!. Also agree that a few of those characters, although well acted, were not befitting of inclusion on the list. You know I thought that the character "Monk" played by Tony Shaloub should have been higher because he has essentially made the diagnosis obsessive compulsive a household word.

Fred Flintstone and the others you mentioned definitely should have made the list (how could Samatha Stevens make the cut and not Jeannie and her lack of a belly button). They should have opened the voting up to all of television and not just nighttime. Everybody knows Erica Kane even if they have never watched a soap opera. Hell maybe even game show host Alex Trebek should have been included because I think he and "Jeopardy" are also a big part of pop culture.

I must say that I could totally live with the live with number 1 through 3 in any order. I would even go so far to say that Norman Lear (the creator of Archie Bunker) through the use of comedy, has shaped the way we think about serious and controversial subject matter.

Cup said...

Carrie Bradshaw's on the list and Jeanie isn't? That's just wrong.

paperback reader said...

Sheriff Lobo! How could they overlook you?? BJ and/or the Bear? Um...something about F Troop?

I am incensed. Conveniently for me, I show my incensed-ness by doing absolutely nothing.

Malcolm said...

pjazzy: I haven't watched any of the lists on E! lately. However, I trust that you know of what you speak in regards to the shittiness of their lists.

As for Monk being higher on the list, I can't argue with that. If they had opened the list to include more than just fictional characters, I don't see how they could keep Alex Trebek/Jeopardy off the list. The same goes for the soap characters that I mentioned.

I don't think Norman Lear's influence can be overstated. I can only imagine what it was like to see "All In the Family" when it debuted in 1971 after years of seeing homogenized characters grace the TV screen. The one downside (if you can call it that) to Norman Lear's influence is that it spawned the dreaded "A Very Special Episode of...". All of Lear's shows did "Very Special" episodes... they just weren't billed as such. However, the acting/writing/directing talent on the Lear shows had the ability to pull these shows off. Unfortunately, lesser sitcoms (Webster, Blossom, Punky Brewster, the list goes on) would try to do these "very special" episodes and they just didn't work.

Beth: If I had to pick between Carrie Bradshaw and Jeannie making the list, I would choose the navel-less one over "Ms. Manolo Blahniks" any day of the week.

Pistols At Dawn: I haven't thought of ole Sheriff Lobo/BJ and the Bear in awhile. I would love to see those shows again. The last time I did, they were packaged together in reruns under the "BJ/Lobo Show" name (they would alternate the shows). I am surprised that a channel like CMT hasn't brought them back. Deputy Perkins (aka the Jungle Cat) was my favorite character.

Rebecca said...

I don't know nearly enough about TV to have any say in this list. That, and my tastes are not what you would call "mainstream." ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love lists like this. I'm going to have to spend more time with it. However, if it was really ranked down to number one, how is Cliff Huxtable way up in the 40s? Again, that was just my first glance. I need to take my time on this one. Thanks for the great find!

Blueyedangela said...

What?!?!?!?!?! Jack Tripper at #80??? I don't believe it! :o)

Anonymous said...

I watched the first and subsequent episodes of "All in the Family" when they debut in 1971. I guess you had to be there, but I sat there kind of in shock, not quite believing what I was seeing and hearing. Who knew at the time that this show would become a definitive marker in television history and serve as a point of reference for all controversial television to come. Oh yeah, I forgot we were referring to fictional characters for a moment...Mr. Trebek is certainly not fictitious.

Malcolm said...

Frigga: You have me intrigued now. What type of shows do you watch?

Mama PJ: When you get the time, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the list.

Angela: Are you surprised that Jack Tripper is ranked low or that he was ranked at all?

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->