Saturday, September 8, 2007

Patsy Cline's 75th Birthday Anniversary

Saturday Sept. 8th marks the 75th birth anniversary of one of the finest voices in music... the late Patsy Cline. I didn't say country music because I think that Patsy transcends genres. I know people who aren't country music fans that love Patsy Cline.

Although I was familiar with some of Patsy's music before, I really started to get into her in the early 1990s when I first subscribed to Music Choice. One of my favorite channels on the system was Country Gold. In addition to getting exposed to artists like Merle Travis and Connie Smith, I also learned more about the music of Patsy Cline. This spurred me to go out and buy a couple of her CDs ("12 Greatest Hits" and "Legends: Patsy Cline"). Although ballads were her forte (I can listen to "Leaving On Your Mind" over and over and over), the latter CD demonstrated that she had a playful side that I was unaware of (one of my favorite tunes by her is "I Love You Honey").

Throughout her lifetime as well as posthumously, Patsy received many awards and accolades for her music. About the only one that she's been denied thus far is induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and I think she's overdue. Don't laugh... both Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Sr. are rightfully in the Hall, so why not Patsy?

The plane crash that took Patsy's life (along with country singers Hawkshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas) happened over 40 years ago, but her legacy lives on to this day. Leann Rimes, Reba McIntire, and k.d. lang are just a few of the many vocalists who have been influenced by Patsy. As a matter of fact, in 1983 k.d. lang formed the tribute band The Reclines in honor of her idol.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that Patsy Cline transcends genre - I'm not a country fan at all, but I LOVE her songs. "Crazy" is my favorite. I haven't listened to anything from her in ages ... don't even have anything on my MP3 player ... may have to rectify that soon!

Anonymous said...

Patsy Cline brings back a lot of memories....my mom used to play her cassette of Patsy while we'd do housecleaning on the weekends or while she was cooking. "Crazy" was my favorite too. I haven't heard it in years.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Patsy! I actually had a conversation about inducting Patsy into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with a fellow patron(who was also a fan) while standing in front of the tribute to Hank Williams at the famed museum.

Patsy is hands down my favorite country artist and she should be in the museum as an "early influence", since she has been influencial in possibly every female country performer (and some R & B and Rock and Roll performers) from Loretta Lynn to the women you mentioned.

I have the "12 Greatest Hits" in my collection as well as other cds with more obscure songs. You talked about her playful side, which is really apparent a a song called "Lovesick Blues". Thanks for the Patsy tribute; if nothing else it will make everyone who reads the post aware of a great lady song.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

In Pittsburgh right now, the late night Cabaret is doing a show about Patsy.

BeckEye said...

I think the fabulous Patsy just rolled over in her grave several times during Britney's VMA performance.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->