Thursday, September 20, 2007

David Bowie Puts His Money Where His Mouth Is

I have been a fan of David Bowie's music for quite some time. However, when I read the story below, he gained a whole new level of respect from me.

From the AP:

David Bowie has donated $10,000 to a legal defense fund for six black teens charged in an alleged attack on a white classmate in the tiny central Louisiana town of Jena.

The British rocker's donation to the Jena Six Legal Defense Fund was announced by the NAACP as thousands of protesters were expected to march through Jena on Thursday in defense of Mychal Bell and five other teens. The group has become known as the Jena Six.

"There is clearly a separate and unequal judicial process going on in the town of Jena," Bowie said Tuesday in an e-mail statement. "A donation to the Jena Six Legal Defense Fund is my small gesture indicating my belief that a wrongful charge and sentence should be prevented."

Bell was found guilty on second-degree battery charges June 28 by a six-member, all-white jury. Before the case was overturned by the state 3rd Circuit Court of Appeal, his sentencing had been set for Thursday.

The court said Bell, who was 16 at the time of the alleged December 2006 beating, shouldn't have been tried as an adult.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who helped organize the march, planned to do his syndicated radio show from Alexandria on Wednesday, then travel about 35 miles to Jena in an attempt to visit Bell, who remains in jail because he is unable to post $90,000 bond.

Sharpton says he expects more than 10,000 marchers.

"We are gratified that rock star David Bowie was moved to donate to the NAACP's Jena campaign," National Board of Directors Chairman Julian Bond of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said in a statement. "We hope others will join him."

7 comments:

Unknown said...

See, this is another reason why I love this guy. It's fantastic to see him coming through like this.

J. Lynne said...

Very cool indeed.

Anonymous said...

David Bowie has always been the bomb and I am not surprised to find that he is generous. I am outraged by what happened in Jena, Louisiana, which reminds of events that occurred in 1957. It is so difficult to fathom that this type of racism is still allowed to fester. I wanted to go to Jena for the protest, but unfortunately I can't get away from work at this time.

Anonymous said...

Well that is pretty cool to hear.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'd heard about Bowie this morning, on the news. It says a lot that he's standing up -- but will anyone who needs to hear it listen?

Cup said...

We must be the two coolest kids in the blogworld; I posted the same thing!

I love Bowie.

Bar L. said...

I am the thrid coolest in the blogworld cause I was gonna blog this too! But instead I will link here because you said it so well.

I have always and will always love David. Seen him about 5 times between 1975 - 2002. He's one of a kind in so many ways.

This Jena 6 thing makes me want to throw up. I just don't' understand why on earth the judge and DA thought they could let this slip by without a HUGE uproar around the world! Its insane. I was hoping I misheard when I first heard it on the news.....

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->