Monday, September 17, 2007

Match Game Panelist Brett Somers Dies At 83

This past Saturday, Brett Somers died of stomach and colon cancer at the age of 83. Although she had a lengthy acting career on the stage and on TV, she is best known for her years as a regular panelist on "Match Game". With her trademark husky voice, oversized glasses, and pearl necklaces, Brett traded barbs with host Gene Rayburn and fellow panelists like Charles Nelson Reilly, Betty White, Richard Dawson, and Fannie Flagg.

Ironically, Brett wasn't supposed to be a regular on "Match Game". When CBS revived the show in 1973 (it originally ran on NBC from 1962-69), the producers asked Jack Klugman to be a panelist during the first week. Klugman agreed on one condition: that Brett (his wife) be allowed to appear as a guest panelist on a later date. The producers liked her so much that she stayed with the show for the next nine years.

As a tribute to Brett, GSN is airing an all-day marathon of "Match Game" on Saturday Sept. 22nd starting at 9 am EST. The clip below is from a 1974 episode of "Match Game" in which Brett is the subject of one of the questions.

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, what a shame. I loved Match Game and her; she was so different from other ladies on TV and yet she reminded me of some of the ladies at the Temple, who were always wonderful to me.

Anonymous said...

I was sorry to hear about this, but unfortunately nothing last forever. I remember when she use to play Oscar's former spouse on "The Odd Couple". I have been thinking of former television performers lately (quite possibly because of your blog) and it made me wonder what ever happened to Cara Williams of "Pete and Gladys" fame. I know this sounds morbit, but as you know they say death comes in threes, first Jane Wyman, now Brett Somers, who will be next?

The Rock Chick said...

"Match Game" was one of my favorite childhood shows and I loved Brett Somers. She made the show as far as I was concerned. Her sense of humor rocked and I think I was only 8 or 9 at the time and could still see this! Sad.

I still catch this show on reruns once in a while on Game Show Network...it's still a riot!

Jessica

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->