Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Kanye West: MTV Exploited Britney

Photo by: INF; Frank Micelotta / Getty

During a Tuesday interview on Sirius Satellite Radio's "The Morning Mash Up", rapper/producer Kanye West blamed MTV for Britney Spears' subpar performance at the Video Music Awards. West said, "Man, they were just trying to get ratings, and they knew she wasn't ready and they exploited her". He went on to say that MTV made a "bad move" by having Spears open the awards show, adding that he felt he should have been allowed to kick off the event with "Stronger" (the debut single from his just-released album "Graduation").

Although I am not a big fan of MTV, Kanye's comments about the exploitation of Britney sound like a bit of a stretch to me. Sorry, but I haven't heard any stories about MTV holding a gun up to Britney's weave job and forcing her to perform on the Video Music Awards. We all know that MTV's decision to have Britney open up the awards show was a ratings ploy... so what if it was? Also, since Britney was trying to promote her new single/upcoming CD, she definitely had something to gain by agreeing to appear on the VMAs.

If we are to believe some of the stories that have been leaking about the Britney fiasco, Kanye's theory about exploitation on the part of MTV becomes even more ridiculous. According to reports, Britney showed up for rehearsals over 3 hours late... with a frozen margarita in her hand. Another source stated that when Britney did finally show up, she didn't exactly throw herself into rehearsals, which caused the more elaborate dance moves that were planned to be scrapped.

After watching Britney's performance the other night, I felt a little sorry for her. I'm not a fan, but like most people, I enjoy a good comeback story. However, if these reports about Britney showing up late and dogging it during rehearsals are true, I have no pity for her.

8 comments:

The Rock Chick said...

I don't think she was exploited at all--just the opposite--I think that was a huge opportunity for her. I didn't see it when it happened, but I watched a video of the performance and she looked unrehearsed and didn't seem to have any confidence in herself or her performance at all. That outfit was also a really bad choice for her.

I seriously hope that girl gets the help that she needs, whatever it is.

Malcolm said...

Hi Rock Chick: Kanye's comments seem to be less about the so-called "exploitation" of Britney and more about him not getting to open the awards show. I agree with you about her lack of confidence.

Even though a lot of people are saying "stick a fork in her because she's done", there is still hope for Britney's career. More importanly, I too hope that she gets the help she needs.

Anonymous said...

OK. I have a hard time feeling sorry for Britney. She's worth more money than I'll ever see in my life. She has two beautiful and healthy boys. Why doesn't she just take a break and enjoy her life until things settle down? It's like she's on this downward spiral and she can't or won't stop herself. Yes, she is exploited to some degree by the media, but she brings most of that on herself. I remember the Matt Lauer interview (pre-breakup with K-Fed) and she just broke down crying over saying how great her life was. You could see that she was falling apart...I guess I just can't relate to that mentality. If it were me, I'd just kick back in my own backyard and swim all day with my boys and family....I'd take naps...and rejoice in the fact that I'd never need to earn another dollar in my life...The last thing she needs is to continue to make a fool out of herself. The girl does or did have real talent (I've seen tapes of her singing as a child, and the girl could sing - and she could always dance). And, I know she has natural beauty. Although, she's been a bit self destructive lately. My husband still thinks she can be hot again...but I have had just about enough of her for a while!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Girlfriend needs help and lots of it. I could have done a better job then she did at the VMA's and I can neither dance or sing. But she didn't really do anything, considering she was lipsyncing and barely walking through the steps. It was pathetic.

I guess she's a case of you can take the girl out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl.

Lori said...

She needs to get her act togethe before her career is completely ruined. She isnt taking it serious. I dont feel sorry for her..she's a big girl with a drug and alcohol problem. She needs to get help for longer than a weekend in rehab.

BeckEye said...

I'm so sick of hearing Kanye West moan and groan. Now he's saying that Britney was exploited, like he really cares one way or the other. Right after the show, he was bitching that he should've been allowed to open the show, bitching that he didn't win any awards and insinuating it had anything to do with his race when he said, "That's two years in a row, man ... give a black man a chance," I'm trying hard, man, I have the number one record, man."

This guy is whining all the way to the bank and he's so hyped that you can't turn on the radio or MTV without hearing something about him. Yet he's being held back? It's so obnoxious.

Cindy Swanson said...

I agree with you, Malcolm! Britney has her own self to blame for that fiasco. She definitely looked drunk or high...and as Simon Cowell said, that performance wouldn't have gotten her through to the next round on a reality show.

Like you, though, I do feel sorry for her. She is so clearly on a destructive path...it's painful to watch.

Malcolm said...

Mama PJ: Britney needs to give herself (as well as us) a break. Watch her kids grow up, lay by the pool, take some college courses, etc. Anything that's away from the spotlight would be good.

Mistress of the Dark and Lori: A few months ago, I wrote a post about the trials and tribulations of Amy Winehouse. I suggested that it might be good if someone went "Strother Martin" (the prison captain from Cool Hand Luke) on her so that she could get her mind right. I think the same type of treatment is in order for Britney.

Beckeye: Kanye needs to sit down and shut up (and not necessarily in that order). All of his whining has gotten old really fast. We all know that racism exists in this country. However, in this case, Kanye West is like Lieutenant Dan from "Forrest Gump"... he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Cindy: I didn't hear about Simon's comments. I don't know if he was there in person to catch Britney's performance, but if he was it would have been great to see the look on his face.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->