Saturday, September 15, 2007

You Make Me Smile Award

Mama Pajama recently awarded me the "You Make Me Smile Award." It was originally created by Bridget at And Miles To Go Before We Sleep. Recipients are asked to award other bloggers who make them smile. However, because there are so many bloggers that affect me in this way, I don't feel right about singling out just a few.

In my hopes of bringing a smile to your face, below I have embedded a clip from "Laverne & Shirley". It's from the episode titled "Guinea Pigs". In it, the girls took part in experiments for a weekend in order to earn money for a cocktail party. For their respective experiments, Laverne had to go without sleep and Shirley was deprived of food. When they get to the party, Laverne is dead on her feet and Shirley is absolutely starving.

Side note: When "Laverne and Shirley" was broadcast in Thailand, TV officials there decided that the zany duo were perhaps just a bit TOO zany for the Thai viewers to comprehend. When the show airs there, it is preceded with the following announcement: "These women were just released from an insane asylum."


6 comments:

Taj said...

The award is much deserved Malcolm. Congratulations!

Great clip as well. I've always preferred Penny Marshall over Cindy Williams.

Bar L. said...

Laverne and Shirley. Loved that show. Talk about laughing. Wish there were still shows like that today.

Congrats on the award it suits you well!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Loved that show growing up!! So many good memories :)

Anonymous said...

Laverne and Shirley was a much funnier show when they were located in Milwaukee. Then the show "jumped the shark" when the cast moved to Los Angeles. That clip was hilarious. I often wonder why the show is not in syndication in more areas.

Anonymous said...

Laverne & Shirley was one of my first favorite shows. I haven't seen it in years. I also loved Three's Company, and told my mom (at 3 yrs. old) that we should name my brother "Stanley" after someone on that show. Lucky for him, she ignored me.

Malcolm said...

Thanks to all who have commented thus far. I would put that Laverne & Shirley episode in my top 10 of funniest episodes of all time. The parts that I remember are Shirley pouncing on the floor to eat that cracker, Laverne doing a face forward flip out of the chair, and both of them doing the Bunny Hop to the buffet table. I had forgotten the part where Shirley tried to get the shrimp out of Laverne's mouth... "gimme that shrimp...gimme that shrimp!"

I would be cool to see this show again. Maybe TV Land will bring it back. Pjazzy, you are so right about L&S jumping the shark when they moved to Cali. I mean how unrealistic was that, not only do L&S move, but the whole cast!

Things got even worse when Cindy Williams left the show during the last season. Some (if not all) of these eps are easy to spot because the opening credits feature some kids singing the "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8" opening to the theme song with Penny Marshall looking on. It was definitely well past the time to pull the plug at this point.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->