Monday, September 10, 2007

Oscar-winning actress Jane Wyman dies at age 93

On Monday morning, Oscar-winning actress Jane Wyman died at her Palm Springs home at the age of 93. When I saw the title of the link to the story on Yahoo this morning, it made me mad. The title of the link was "First wife of Ronald Reagan, Jane Wyman dies at 93". Although it is true that Wyman was married to Bonzo's buddy, her career achievements can stand on their own.

Wyman got her start in Hollywood as a bit player in the early 1930s. In 1936, she signed a long-term contract with Warner Brothers. Although she made a slew of movies for the studio, most of them were undistinguished. It wasn't until she played the loyal girlfriend of Ray Milland's alcoholic character in "The Lost Weekend" in 1945 that she started to make an impact on the big screen.

The following year she received the first of 4 Best Actress Oscar nominations for her work in "The Yearling". In 1948, she won her only Oscar for her role as the deaf mute rape victim in "Johnny Belinda". Her Oscar acceptance speech is reportedly the shortest on record "I won this award by keeping my mouth shut and I think I'll do it again." Some of her other films include 1954's "Magnificent Obsession" (her final Oscar nominated role), "Pollyana" (1960), and "How To Commit Marriage" (1969).

Arguably, Jane's best known role was that of powerful winery owner Angela Channing on the long-running CBS nighttime soap "Falcon Crest". This was a show that I watched all through high school (10:00 Friday nights right after "Dallas"). Jane's portrayal of Angela Channing was quite a departure for her, because she always played sympathetic characters in the movies. I seem to remember her saying on more than one occasion to whichever character was fool enough to cross her, "You'll pay for this!"

Although no information is yet available on their website, Turner Classic Movies will more than likely schedule a marathon spotlighting Jane's work on the big screen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This news saddens me. I have always been a fan of the golden age of film and Jane Wyman was always a consummate performer during this era. You are absolutely correct in saying that her body of work stands on it's own. She won an Oscar. Reagan had to go into politics in order to win anything.

I remember watching "Johnny Belinda" many years ago, it was a very touching performance. I always catch "Magnificent Obsession" whenever it comes on because I thought Ms. Wyman and Rock Hudson were really good together.

I know how you love trivia so here goes: as you mentioned Ms. Wyman has the record for the shortest acceptance speech in Oscar history, but she also holds the record for the longest kiss on film at 3 minutes, 5 seconds with Regis Toomey in the 1941 film "You're in the Army Now". She was married to Reagan at the time.

R. I. P. Ms. Wyman

Malcolm said...

Hi Pjazzy: I almost included the trivia bit about the longest kiss on film in my post about Jane. I can't remember whether or not I saw "You're In the Army Now". Since it's in the TCM library, I'll have to keep my eyeballs peeled.

Speaking of TCM, I just checked their site and found that they are scheduling a Jane Wyman tribute on Friday, September 14 (all times ET). Here is the sched:

6:00 AM The Doughgirls (’44)
7:45 AM The Lost Weekend (’45)
9:30 AM Cheyenne (’47)
11:15 AM Johnny Belinda (’48)
1:00 PM The Lady Takes a Sailor (’49)
2:45 PM A Kiss in the Dark (’49)
4:15 PM Here Comes the Groom (’51)
6:15 PM Let’s Do It Again (’53)

Anonymous said...

I knew who she was, b/c of her marriage to Ronald Reagan. Also, I watched Falcon Crest. Other than that, I didn't know anything about her.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Malcolm.

Bar L. said...

How typical of the media to equate her "fame" with who she was married to. I remember her as a great actress and almost forgot she was once married to Pres. Reagen.

Malcolm said...

Mama PJ: If you have time on Friday, you should check out some of the movies in the festival that TCM is showing on Friday. She was a pretty good actress. The last time I saw Falcon Crest was when SoapNet aired reruns a few years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Barbara: I did notice that later on, Yahoo had a different link that said "Oscar winning actress Jane Wyman dies at 93". I didn't complain to them about the previous link... I swear!

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->