Monday, September 24, 2007

Publisher Denies Lesbian Claim By Brady Lady

From the "Not That There's Anything Wrong With That" file:

Last week, The National Enquirer reported that "Brady Bunch" alum Maureen McCormick's upcoming book would discuss details of a lesbian tryst between her and Eve Plumb. As you probably know, Maureen played Marcia Brady and Eve portrayed nearsighted middle sister Jan on the long-running sitcom.

Now, the book's publisher (Debbie Styer) is denying this claim. According to Styer, "We are verifying that it is not true. The real story of what happened in {McCormick's} life and behind the scenes of the show will all come out when the book comes out". At any rate, Styer's use of the terms "come out" and "comes out" were kinda funny to me.

It's amazing that after nearly 40 years, we are still fascinated by anything Brady-related. From Barry Williams' revelation about having a crush on TV mom Florence Henderson to the news that Robert Reed was gay, the public laps it up like the chocolate flavored stuff that Bobby Brady devoured when he entered the ice-cream eating contest. Although I won't buy the Maureen McCormick book, I'll check out the TV-movie that it's bound to inspire. With all of the behind the scenes goings on in Bradyland, I think it's safe to say that The Hallmark Channel won't be producing the movie.

McCormick's book, tentatively titled "Here's the Story, is scheduled to come out... er, be released in early 2008.

6 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I wonder if the library will have that one...

Pamella Robinson said...

The National Enquirer is a rag I wouldn't use to wipe my...er, let me rephrase. I wouldn't use that rag to wash my windows with. The publishers have made millions tearing celebrities down. We have a strange relationship with our celebrities, I mean we can't seem to get enough and we want to know every diminutive detail of their lives, but aren't they entitled to some privacy? If someone was as interested in our personal comings and goings we would at least be offended and quite possibly go after the nosy busybody who was butting into our business.

Don't get me wrong, I have done my fair share of celebrity-bashing, but it is usually those spoiled "Malibu Most Wanted" youngster, e.g. Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears, etc. who use their powers for evil instead of good. If they put their business out there for us to scrutinize then I think their actions become fair game; however attempting to drag someone out of the closet is reprehensible. I am sorry, but that's just wrong.

We seem very interested in lifestyles that deviate from what we think is normal and literally try to destroy people because of it. Maureen McCormick denies the accusations, but she shouldn't have to because her sexuality would fall into the category of "none of our business".

Holly Smith said...

I was obsessed with the everything Brady in Junior High. My friend and I went and bought the book that listed out all the episodes to make sure we had seen them all. Why am I digging such a big hole for myself today? ;)

Malcolm said...

Mistress of the Dark: If they do, I hope it doesn't come in a plain brown wrapper.

Pamella: You mean you are not a fan of the nation's most trusted source for news, the National Enquirer? Where else can you see pictures of a newborn human baby... that just happens to have a pig's head? Seriously, the Natl. Enquirer can go too far sometimes. Like you said, they have made millions tearing down celebs. I wonder how much money they have had to shell out in legal fees for all of the libel suits they have been slapped with.

Holly: I wonder if you have the same Brady book that I have. Mine is called The Brady Bunch Book and is written by Andrew J. Edelstein and Frank Lovece.

The Rock Chick said...

Ok, I admit it....I will buy and read the book. I loved the Brady Bunch and still enjoy catching a rerun of it once in a while even today.

I think the fascination is that people so strongly identified these actors with their characters that hearing news of things like Robert Reed being gay was just impossible. He couldn't be because he's madly in love with Carol Brady and all those kids!

Jessica The Rock Chick

Malcolm said...

I agree about people identifying so strongly with the characters of the Brady Bunch. Although I did not watch it during its original 1969-1974 run, me and my sister used to catch it 3 times a day when it first went into syndication.

Can you imagine if word had got out during the show's run that Robert Reed was gay? The show would have either gotten cancelled or you would have seen an actor like Peter Haskell appear out of nowhere in the role of Mike Brady.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->