Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #14: Quotes From Humphrey Bogart Movies




Most people who know me are aware that my all-time favorite actor is Humphrey Bogart. I first became aware of him when I was a kid when they used to show his films on programs like "Bill Kennedy At the Movies" on Channel 50 in Detroit. However, I became hooked when Superstation WGN did a week-long Bogie marathon during the summer of 1986. Each night they showed 3 of his films... it was cool as hell! Although his prototypical role was that of the cynical tough guy, he did get the chance to show he could do more in films like "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "The Caine Mutiny". Below are some of my favorite lines from some of his films. The character's names precede the movie quotes (with the performer's real name in parentheses... if it's available). All of the single line quotes are by Bogart characters.

1. From "They Drive By Night" (1940)

Farnsworth (Charles Halton): Well, you don't have to be nasty about it.
Paul Fabrini (Bogart): We don't have to be, but it's more fun that way.

2. From "High Sierra" (1941)

Roy Earle: I wouldn't give you two cents for a dame without a temper.

3. "The Maltese Falcon" (1941)

Sam Spade (to Joel Cairo, played by Peter Lorre): When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it.

4. "All Through the Night" (1941)

said to Nazi leader, played by Conrad Veidt

"Gloves" Donahue: You know you're not a bad-looking character. I'd hate to see that fine nose of yours smeared all over your pan.

5. Deadline U.S.A. (1952)

Eddie Hutcheson: ...and the lawyers are up in the dome right now waiting to explain the nature of their crime with facts, figures and falsehoods. One more 'F' and they won't be drafted.

6. The African Queen (1951)

said to Rose Sayer (played by Katherine Hepburn)

Charlie Allnut: Well I ain't sorry for you no more, ya crazy, psalm-singing, skinny old maid!

7. The Big Sleep (1946)

Vivian (played by Lauren Bacall): I don't like your manners
Philip Marlowe (Bogart): And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

8. Across the Pacific (1942)

Alberta Marlow (played by Mary Astor): I'm not so obsessed with money as you seem to be. I can do without it.
Rick Leland (Bogart): You stick around with me and you'll get plenty of practice.

9. The Enforcer (1951)

Dist. Atty. Martin Ferguson: You think you can shut people up by killing them, but you're wrong. Maybe not in the courtroom but they'll be talkin' to you, Mendoza! At night when you're trying to sleep!

10. Dark Passage (1947)

Baker (Clifton Young): I got the license number. I always had a good head for figures.
Vincent Parry (Bogart): My only interest in your head is how easy it'll crack open.

11. The Harder They Fall (1956)

Willis tells Toro to throw his boxing match with the champ to avoid getting hurt

Toro Moreno (Mike Lane): I don't know, I don't know. What would people think of me?
Eddie Willis (Bogart): What do you care what a bunch of bloodthirsty, screaming people think of you? Did you ever get a look at their faces? They pay a few lousy bucks hoping to see a man get killed. To hell with them! Think of yourself. Get your money and get out of this rotten business.

12. The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Capt. Queeg: Mr. Maryk, you may tell the crew for me that there are four ways of doing things aboard my ship: The right way, the wrong way, the Navy way, and my way. They do things my way, and we'll get along.

13. Casablanca (1942)

denying a bank official entrance into Rick's

Rick (Bogart): Your cash is good at the bar.
Banker: What? Do you know who I am?
Rick: I do. You're lucky the bar's open to you.

Don't forget to vote in the weekly poll (found in the upper left hand corner of the page).

(leave your link in comments so that other people can visit your Thursday Thirteen.)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


29 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

Ah, Bogie! Thanks for choosing a more obscure quote from Casablanca. And for a guy who usually played it so cool, didn't he do a terrific crazy in Caine Mutiny?

Robin said...

I love Casablanca. Great list. I've missed a few of these, I'll have to remedy that soon.

Chelle Y. said...

Can you believe I have never seen one of his movies? Crazy, huh?

www.chelleyoung.com

Christina said...

Oh, I adore Bogie! Thanks for sharing him with us! :)

My T13

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, what a fabulous idea for a T13! I love classic films, I love Bogie, and I've seen most of the movies on your list. And Casablanca makes me swoon. :)

Happy T13 to you!

Tink said...

Good old Bogey! I've seen all the films, he'll always be a classic!
My TT shows my Tinkerbell collection.

Yuriko said...

Haven't seen that name in years! Wow!! How time flies!

Nicholas said...

4 and 12 are my favourites.

Nicholas

http://agentlemansdomain.typepad.com

Unknown said...

You know from your list I've only seen Casablanca, but I just watched The Desperate Hours and I did see The Petrified Forest. Great bookends. But I'm slow to get to Bogie. Don't know why.

Pea in a Pod said...

OMG! I love Casablanca!! It's one of my favorite classics ever! Thanks for letting me remember:)

Mines up as well here;
http://yennygirl.com/?p=877

pjazzypar said...

Number 6 is funny, but I really love number 8.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, Malcolm! I think I've only ever seen Casablanca, but given the stellar writing you're showcasing here, I'm going to have to fix that.

I answered your question on my blog, but here's the short version: jump on in; there's no chronology, by design. And if you have any questions, drop me an e-mail! Have fun!

Lori said...

He was so handsome, wasnt he?? What a great list. Thanks for the info. Happy TT.

Jenny McB said...

I must have seen a Bogie movie or two, but I am really bad at remembering names or even lines.
Can I use you as a call a friend if I ever get on Who wants to be a millionaire?

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few of these, but Casablanca is my favorite. What a great movie - and I'm not a fan of B&W.

Thanks for stopping by and being my first comment on my first Thurday Thirteen!

We used to live in Wyndotte, MI. We probably drove past each other on the 696 sometime!

Rims said...

Wow! I have just watched Casablanca but me a movie freak and dont mind watching the rest :D Thanks for sharing! Happy TT!!

JavaChick said...

Oh. Bogart. Fabulous. This was a fun read.

And thanks for the comment about Jim Carey and his tap shoes.

-- MissMeliss

sandierpastures said...

Of all these movies, I only saw Casablanca! Need some catching up to do.
Mine's up: http://www.sandierpastures.com/thursday-thirteen/thursday-thirteen-11.html

Xakara said...

I've heard the first quote parodied several times and never knew where it was from. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

~X

My TT

Amy Palko said...

I love this list! What a great idea for a TT post. Number 8 in particular made me laugh out loud! My post this week is about habits that I'm trying to take up. Would love to hear what you thought of them! You can find them here.
PS The blog linked to my name is not the blog where my TT is posted!

jenn said...

What a great list. I haven't seen any of these movies, but will watch for them to come on. I get a channel that shows all the old classics.

Lori said...

I don't think I've ever watched a Bogie flick from beginning to end. I always say I'm going to one day. So, which top 3 Bogie flicks would you recommend?

Malcolm said...

The Gal Herself: His role in "The Caine Mutiny" was definitely a departure. I think he should have won an Oscar for it.

Robin: If you don't alrready have it, I would highly recommend getting the 2-disc anniversary edition of "Casablanca". Some of the special features on the set include: excellent commentary by Roger Ebert, a Warner Bros. cartoon spoof (Carrotblanca), and an episode from the 1950s TV version starring Charles McGraw as Rick.

Chelle Y: I have a lot of holes in my movie viewing so it's all good. If you have Turner Classic Movies, you should check it out because they air Bogie movies on a regular basis.

Thomma Lyn: Thanks! I am right with you in regards to loving classic films and Bogart.

Nicholas: All Through the Night isn't one of his better known films, but it is one of my favorites. One of the things that I like about it is that you get a chance to see Jackie Gleason and Phil Silvers (with hair!)early in their careers.

busy91: You gotta get busy and catch up on Bogie, lol. Good call on your bookends reference in regards to "The Desperate Hours" and "Petrified Forest".

Pjazzy: I don't know if you have ever seen #8 on the list (Across the Pacific), Bogie's delivery of the line makes it even funnier to me.

Susan Helene: Once you check out some of Bogie's other films, feel free to let me know what you thought about them (good or bad).

Also, thanks for answering my question in regards to your blog. I will paying your blog a visit later today.

Lori: My girlfriend back in college thought that Bogie was handsome too... at least when he was younger.

Jenny McB: I am a self-professed movie quote freak. Me and some of my relatives will often say to each other, "Where is this line from?"

You most certainly can use me as a phone a friend if you make it on WWTBAM. An acquaintance of mine selected me as one of her "phone a friends" back when she appeared on the prime time version of the show. I believe that contestants can choose 1 from a pool of 3 "PAFs". Although my friend made it to the hot seat, she chose to use her husband as her "PAF". The question she had was this:

Which of these actresses won an Emmy for playing Erica Kane's daughter on "All My Children".

a. Melissa Joan Hart
b. Sarah Michelle Gellar
c. Liza Huber
d. Jennifer Love Hewitt

I don't blame her for going with her husband instead of me. Although I knew the answer, my friend had no way of knowing that. By the way, her husband chose the correct answer, which is "B".

Malcolm said...

Blue Momma: You should think about giving some of Bogie's other films a try. If not the B&W films, some of the ones he made in color (The African Queen, The Caine Mutiny, The Left Hand of God, etc.).

That would be something if we did cross paths on 696.

Java Chick: It's funny that I read the Jim Carrey comment last week on another TT and one of the entries on your current TT talked about tap dancing.

Sandiepastures: For many people unfamiliar with most of Bogie's work, "Casablanca" is the one that they often say they have seen. If and when you do sample some other Bogie films, feel free to provide me with your critique(s).

Xakara: I probably have heard parodies of this line, but never connected them to "They Drive By Night".

Amy Palko: Thanks for stopping by. Like I mentioned earlier, #8 is even funnier when you hear Bogie deliver the line.

Jenn: If you are referring to Turner Classic Movies, that is an excellent place to catch up on Bogie and other classic movie performers. If the channel you are talking about is AMC, that's another story, lol.

Lori: It's hard to pick 3, but the following will give you a sample of Bogie's range as an actor. All of these air on TCM quite a bit, so it should be fairly easy to catch them.

1. The Maltese Falcon
2. Key Largo
3. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Shoot me an email to let me know what you think once you see any of them.

Holly Smith said...

I'm afraid that I've missed some major classics. I need to go back and watch some of these films. I haven't even seen Casablanca all the way through....I guess I'm always too busy watching Lifetime girlie movies. I should broaden my horizons. Great post this week!

Vixen of Vixensden.com said...

Please don't hate me, but....I have never seen a Humphry Bogart movie. I know a lot of lines from them because you can't play Trivial Pursuit without learning these things. I just have never seen one of his movies. Maybe I will rent some this weekend. Happy TT

katherine. said...

I always bet 22.

Cup said...

I'm going to steal Quote #1 sometime in the coming weeks. I'd forgotten about that!

BTW, did you get the Feist?

Gattina said...

He was quite a character, lol !

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->