Friday, September 7, 2007

Happy Birthday To Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders

Today, Chrissie Hynde (founder and guitarist/lead singer of The Pretenders) celebrates her 56th birthday. Although the band has gone through numerous incarnations, Chrissie has always been front and center. Ever since I first saw the clip for "Brass In Pocket" as a kid on our basement TV back when a certain cable channel primarily played music videos, I have been a fan (not only of The Pretenders, but Chrissie in particular). She is one of those rare vocalists who can sound both tough and tender in the same song.

In addition to her work with The Pretenders, I've always admired Chrissie's fashion approach (I like to refer to her as the anti-Madonna). What I mean by that is if you compare the present-day Chrissie with a photo from the early days, little has changed (she is still sporting her trademark dark bangs, with eyeliner to match). Ironically, I feel that this has helped her to become somewhat timeless.

Below is the video clip to the song "Don't Get Me Wrong" from The Pretenders' album "Get Close".

6 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Happy b-day to Chrissie! Proof that you don't have to look like a bimbo to have a song on the charts...at least you didn't in the late 70's and early 80's!

Bar L. said...

I am so remiss in not knowing it is Chrissie's B-day. I am glad you are up on these things. Chrissie, to me, is the greatest woman ever in rock and roll. I LOVE her. Ann and Nancy Wilson and Janis Joplin are also great.

I have to link here today. Thank you!!!

Pamella Robinson said...

Chrissie Hynde Rocks! Happy Birthday to You. Nice Video clip.

The Thirsty Bitch said...

Happy Birthday to the Hynde.

I never got too deep into the Pretenders, but 2000 miles is one of my fave songs (and really high on my fav christmas songs).

most people from my generation know her for her guest spot on friends. and on the dvd she plays all of "angel of the morning" which is awesome.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Whoa. I'm almost embarrassingly late here.

Next time I bemoan my never-changing hair, I'll just tell myself I'm Chrissie in training and my look is timeless.

Think anyone'll buy it?

Malcolm said...

Hi Susan: Yes, you should use the "Chrissie in training" line... it just may work. The black eyeliner is optional.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->