Saturday, September 29, 2007

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2008 Nominees Announced

On Friday, the nominees for possible induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced. According to the rules, the top 5 vote getters are to be inducted. I'll explain that last sentence later on in the post.

One of my favorite discussions that I have with friends, relatives, countrymen is the RRHOF and who we think should and shouldn't be in. As a music fan, one thing that I enjoy about the RRHOF is that it recognizes the achievements of people who with the passage of time, often get overlooked. Artists such as Ruth Brown, The Orioles, and Gene Vincent as well as sidemen like Johnnie Johnson and James Jamerson come to mind.

Unfortunately, the RRHOF induction process often falls prey to the 3 P's: political maneuvering, popularity contests, and personal vendettas. One of the main criticisms is that the nomination process is controlled by a select few such as founder Jann Wenner, former foundation director Suzan Evans, and music critic/writer Dave Marsh. As a result, the decisions regarding who gets in and who doesn't is dominated by their personal likes and dislikes. I mean, the only way that some of the inductees should get into the Hall of Fame is if they buy a ticket like the rest of us.

The following is a 2001 letter by a former RRHOF board member that was sent to Fox News:

"Thank you for your insightful article on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am a veteran music journalist who spent two years on the Hall's nominating committee and saw from the inside some of the politics at work.

"I saw how artists were sometimes chosen for nomination because of their affiliations with the directors of the Hall and others were shot down without so much as a moment of consideration simply because some people in that room didn't like them personally or because an artist had bad blood with someone calling the shots.

"At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist.

"During my second year on the committee, I received a petition signed by 5000 fans of the Moody Blues requesting that the group be considered for nomination. Personally I am not much of a fan, and neither, apparently, was anyone else on the committee (at least no one who would admit it). Still, I felt they were a legitimate contender for the nomination and that it was my duty to present the petition since so many people had taken a lot of time to put it together. I plunked it down on the conference table to a great roar of laughter from the assembled bigshots.

"Jon Landau, Springsteen's manager, asked me if I personally was a fan of theirs. 'Not really,' I said. 'End of discussion,' he said.

"On the other hand, I saw how Atlantic Records artists were routinely placed into nomination with no discussion at all, due to the large concentration of Atlantic executives on the committee. I saw how so-called critical favorites were placed into nomination while artists that were massively popular in their time were brushed off. I saw how certain pioneering artists of the 50s and early 60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in 70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today — but Queen is.

"I was finally kicked off the committee after writing a guest editorial for Billboard in which I criticized the Hall for its insider ways.

"Almost ten years later nothing has changed."

In the six years since the former board member wrote that letter, things are still pretty much the same. How else do you explain artists who to me are borderline at best (Jackson Browne, Percy Sledge, and Lynyrd fuckin' Skynyrd just to name a few) being in while worthy performers like Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Hall & Oates, The Marvelettes, KISS, and Bobby Womack
are still singing the Little Anthony & the Imperials tune "I'm On the Outside (Looking In)?

Earlier I mentioned that "According to the rules, the top 5 vote getters are to be inducted." I phrased it that way because there was an alleged controversy with the voting process for the 2007 class. Last March, there was a FOX News article claiming that The Dave Clark Five should have been the 5th inductee because they had more votes than inductee Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. The article went on to say that "[Jann Wenner] used a technicality about the day votes were due in. In reality, The Dave Clark Five got six more votes than Grandmaster Flash. But he felt we couldn't go another year without a rap act."

Although the RRHOF denied that the fix was in, they did acknowledge that late votes were received. Whether or not one believes last year's voting controversy, it still has to make you question what goes on behind the closed doors of the RRHOF.

Below are the 9 nominees along with my thoughts on who I predict will and won't get in this year:

Afrika Bambaattaa- Shouldn't and won't get in. A rap pioneer, Bambaattaa's 1983 track "Planet Rock" is one of the cornerstones of the genre. However, since another rap artist will more than likely be among the inductees (see below), I think that some voters will say that one representative of the genre is enough for one year. With that being said, I think that Bambaataa is worthy of getting in someday, just not this year.

The Beastie Boys- Should and will get in. There may still be people who think that The Beasties helped to destroy rap with their breakthrough album "Licensed To Ill". I say forget all that and give them credit for growing beyond their early beer swilling persona with albums like "Paul's Boutique", "Check Your Head", and "Ill Communication". Plus, the fact that the Beasties still have a high profile in the music biz (they released a critically acclaimed instrumental album earlier this year) will probably work in their favor.

Chic- should, but won't get in. I think the disco tag will prevent them from getting into the RRHOF, at least this year.

The Dave Clark Five- Should and will get in. Although they didn't have the staying power of other British Invasion acts like The Beatles or the Stones, The DC 5 pumped out some foot stomping classics back in the 60s ("Glad All Over", "Bits and Pieces", and "Can't You See That She's Mine" just to name a few). Plus, the alleged voting controversy that I mentioned earlier will probably help earn them an induction.

Leonard Cohen- shouldn't, but will get in. Since 2005, it seems like the honor roll of inductees has included at least one head scratcher each year. Cohen will be the one for 2008. I realize that he has a cult following and is well regarded within music circles, but still!

Madonna- Should and will get in. Despite her limited vocals, the lady from Bay City has cut some pretty good records over the years. Plus, she has been hugely influential (for better or worse) on many female artists who have followed her.

John Mellencamp- should but won't get in. I was pleasantly surprised when he was among the nominees this year. Apparently he made the nominees list previously, something that I wasn't aware of until recently. Because of his "tell it like it is" manner, Mellencamp has probably pissed off the wrong people (i.e. RRHOF voters) in the music industry. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why he isn't in the RRHOF already (he's been eligible since 2001). However, since it's the RRHOF and not the Congeniality Hall of Fame, any voters that may be holding grudges against Mellencamp need to put them aside and induct him into The Hall.

Donna Summer- should and will get in. Even more than Chic, Donna Summer is heavily identified with disco. However, it's been said that there has been a conscious effort to get more female artists into the RRHOF. If this is true, that may work in Summer's favor. With that being said, I think that Summer's track record makes her worthy of induction regardless of her gender.

The Ventures- shouldn't and won't get in. Although they were one of the top instrumental groups of the 60s with hits like "Walk, Don't Run" and "Hawaii Five-O", induction into the RRHOF is pushing it a bit.

The 5 inductees should be announced later this year, while the actual induction ceremony is scheduled to take place on March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't know most of those artists ;-0
For as much as I love music, I've just barely scratched the surface of it.

I finally posted you up some link love for your 1979 answer laaaasssssssstt Friday ;-)

pjazzypar said...

I am so emotionally passionate about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and you knew I would not pass up an opportunity to speak on this topic. It's is just a shame many deserving people are overlooked year after year while others (Percy Sledge for example) have no business even being in the same city as the RRHOF.

I am all for Madonna and Donna Summer getting into the Hall. I am a big fan of both of these artists and it would be a coup to girl power if they both made it. I just think that an artist like Patti Labelle who was paying dues in this business when Donna and Madonna were in grade school is past due. Patti is still an crowd pleaser and an awesome entertainer. If I had to chose one artist out of all of the others I feel have been shunned (Quincy Jones and Chaka Khan comes to mind) I would have to give my vote to Ms. Patti.

John Mellencamp definitely deserves to be inducted, though he was not included on VH1 list of "rock and roll" male performers a few years back (go figure). I always say he is to Indiana what Bob Seger is to Michigan and what Bruce Springsteen is to New Jersey. He is a homegrown every man that women love and men would love to be, he has a natural charm and appeal and plus he has a body of musical work that is unsurpassed. He takes risks with his music and I like that about him.

Afrika Bambaataa, along with The Soulsonic Force (talking about Mr. Big, Pow Wow, G.L.O.B.E.) were one of my favorite rap groups of the 80's. They had good beats and were socially relevant. They might not deserve to go into the Hall of Fame at this point in time, but neither does the Beastie Boys, but that's just my opinion. Run DMC should enter the RRHOF before either of these groups.

Though Chic was one of my favorite dance groups of the 70's (I have all of their stuff) they probably won't get in for the reasons you specified. Nile Rodgers should probably be nominated for the work he has done behind the scenes with numerous other acts. I am all for The Dave Clark Five being nominated. In fact I thought they should have gone in last year instead of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

It's funny the RRHOF should really be the Top 40 Hall Of Fame. Madonna and Donna though both great artists...don't rock at all.

I'm all for TDCF and The Ventures..but where are The Moody Blues?

~sigh~

God..I guess Duran Duran will be up for it in a year or so. Blergh

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

... and my Tallica boys were snubbed. Hello? They defined an entire genre of music. THAT's not worthy?

Bar L. said...

Great post, excellent info. Its very sad that its true. I had heard this for years but never actually had the facts till I read your post.

What do you think is the best music award (if there is such a thing?)

BeckEye said...

What a farce that Hall is. Still, I've been there and care for some reason about who gets in. But they'll be on my shit-list until they put Squeeze in.

I think the Beastie Boys should be inducted at some point, but I think it's too early for them. There are plenty of others more deserving who have been waiting longer.

Malcolm said...

Frigga: Out of curiosity, which artists do you know? Also, thanks for the link love.

pjazzy: I really liked your line about Percy Sledge having no business being in the same city as the RRHOF. All of the artists you named should definitely be in there.

In this book I have called "The New Book of Rock Lists", there is an entry called Worst Career Moves. Quincy Jones is on this list because of the speech he gave inducting record producer Neshui Ertegun into the RRHOF. The entry states that Quincy gave a long-winded speech that mostly talked about his own qualifications for the Hall. The writer theorizes that the speech probably cost Quincy any chance of getting into the Hall, at least while he's alive... going on to say that nobody's about to risk sitting through another one of his speeches. I think the RRHOF should overlook that one speech and instead focus on Quincy's track record as a songwriter, musician, producer, and arranger. Will they...doubtful, very doubtful.

Mistress of the Dark: I think that calling it the RRHOF is best because that encompasses all of rock's many sub-genres. They could call it the Popular Music Hall of Fame, but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it. If they called it the Top 40 Hall of Fame, that would rule out those artists who were very influential, but didn't have much Top 40 chart success (Bo Diddley, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Grateful Dead, etc.).

The exclusion of The Moody Blues points to another criticism of the RRHOF: the lack of progressive rock acts in the Hall. Although I am not a huge fan of that genre, I think that acts such as The Moody Blues, Yes, and Rush at least deserve consideration. By the way, I am really pulling for the DC5 to get in. If they are inducted and perform at the ceremony, I wonder who will handle lead vocals since orig. lead singer Michael Smith is hospitalized with a spinal cord injury in Europe.

As for Duran Duran, they have been eligible since 2006. I think the RRHOF will make them sweat it out a little while longer before putting them on the nominees list.

Susan Helene: Since Metallica was not on the nominees list this year, I am guessing that the RRHOF is counting 1983's "Kill 'Em All" as their first official release (as opposed to the demos they did the previous year). We'll know the RRHOF's intentions when the nominees for 2009 are announced next year.

Barbara: Thanks for the kind words! It would be cool if the RRHOF could vote for artists based on merit and not personal feelings, but I guess that's asking too much.

When it comes to awards, I would call The Grammys the lesser of the evils. Although they were notorious for years for making terrible choices (The Milli Vanilli fiasco, The Statler Bros. 1965 win for Best R&R Recording By A Group, Jethro Tull's 1988 win for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance, etc), they have started to get their act together in recent times by getting some younger blood on the voting committee.

Beckeye: Just like the Oscars, I have a love/hate relationship with the RRHOF. I have been to the Hall several times and will definitely be going back. Still, that'll never stop me from criticizing some of the choices they make. You can pretty much count on the RRHOF remaining on your shitlist because I doubt that Squeeze will be inducted any time soon. Here is yet another criticism of the Hall: the lack of British acts with minimal chart success in the States. Some of the other acts that come to mind are: The Smiths, The Jam, and The Cure.

The RRHOF should make a conscious effort to induct some of the older acts ahead of some of these 70s and 80s artists. However, we both know that this is about as likely as an Ike and Tina Turner reunion tour.

You can see how the older, less famous acts are viewed when the media covers the announcement of the RRHOF nominees. This year on Yahoo, the headline read "Madonna nominated for Rock Hall of Fame". You would think she was the only one on the list of nominees! Last year Van Halen and R.E.M. were the main story regarding the nominees, while the remaining artists were looked upon by the media as afterthoughts. It pisses me off, but it will never change.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

We were all expecting the Met nomination this year, Malcolm. Unless the RRHOF won't consider Megaforce Records as a viable way to launch a career? My goodness. I'd hate to hear what Jonny Z thinks of that...

Glad you stopped by and met Chelle. She's a lot of fun; I suspect you'll like her.

The Rock Chick said...

I agree completely with all of your comments about each of the groups/artists....I think Madonna has either had a huge effect or paved the way for most of today's female pop stars....I can't say I've been crazy about all of her stuff, but she deserves to be in!

Great post!
Jessica

Holly Smith said...

OK. One thing stood out for me in this post. Madonna has limited vocals??? No way! I am a huge Madonna fan (pre 2000). I have all of those albums and I even have the Evita soundtrack. (Movie sucked but if you love her singing voice, and goofy musicals, you have to admit it's good)I really can't stand Madonna's media persona anymore, but her voice is/was powerful.

Malcolm said...

Susan Helene: You would think that they would count the Megaforce releases wouldn't you? Who knows what goes on in the minds of the RRHOF voters.

Jessica: Thanks for stopping by... long time no see.

Holly: I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in regards to Madonna's vocal range. Live and on record, those vocals can be as thin as a wafer at times. It's not that I think she's a horrible singer, I just feel that she's the beneficiary of studio technology. A producer could toss my no-singing ass in the studio and twist a few knobs and have me sounding like Luther Vandross.

pjazzypar said...

That's funny, but true about recording studio technology and Madonna's limited singing range. Anyone can sound exceptional with the flip of a switch in a studio, but where the rubber meets the road in on the live stage. There are many great artists who are not the best singers in the world (Michael, Janet), but along with Madonna they are some of the best performers on the planet. You will never get Madonna to do MTV Unplugged, because she knows her limitations.

anandamide said...

Great post. I had no idea it happened this way...or that Jackson Browne was in. But go figure, Jon Landau produced some of his albums (at least one, anyway).

I feel no particular injustice about Atlantic artists getting in fast-track. While Ahmet Ertegun was boss they could do no wrong.

Malcolm said...

Pjazzy: That's a pretty funny line about Madonna refusing to do Unplugged.

Anandamide: Thanks for stopping by. I would love to be a fly on the wall to observe the goings on during the voting process for the RRHOF. You are right about Atlantic during Ertegun's reign. Now if all the artists who were on Curb Records were getting favorable consideration, that would be a different story.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->