Saturday, September 22, 2007

Happy Birthday To Joan Jett

On Saturday, former Runaway and should-be Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Joan Jett celebrates her birthday (various sources list her year of birth as either 1958 or 1960). For anybody still fool enough to believe that women can't rock, all I have to say is that they must have never listened to Joan Jett. I have enjoyed her music ever since I first heard her singing about that guy "dancin' there by the record machine".

One thing you can say about Joan Jett's music is that it's dependable. If you are in the mood to rock and roll, songs like "Bad Reputation" (used as the theme to the short-lived series "Freaks and Geeks"), "I Hate Myself For Loving You", and "Riddles" (from her 2006 CD "Sinner") won't disappoint you.

In addition to her own tunes, Joan also put her spin on songs done by others. I liked the fact that many of these remakes were either lesser known tunes or songs you wouldn't expect Joan to do. In addition to "I Love Rock & Roll" (orig. rec. by The Arrows), Joan also cut songs like "Hide and Seek" (1st done by Bunker Hill), "Tulane" (a Chuck Berry tune), as well as "Love Is All Around" (the theme to "The Mary Tyler Moore Show").

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, Joan Jett should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. According to their website, artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record (Joan's 1st solo record was released in 1980). The site goes on to say that criteria for induction include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. Joan Jett was a huge influence on the Riot Grrl movement, which included such bands as Bratmobile and Bikini Kill. Not only that, but Joan still has an active recording and touring career (she is the opening act on the North American leg of Aerosmith's 2007 World Tour). If you want to let the Hall of Fame Foundation know that you feel that Joan deserves induction, click here and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Along with her musical and acting career, Joan Jett is serving as executive producer for an upcoming biopic about her old band The Runaways. Titled "Neon Angels", the film is scheduled to hit the big screen in 2009. More details are available by clicking here.

Below is the video clip to one of my favorite tunes by her, "Fake Friends". This is one of those songs that I think should have been a bigger hit (it peaked at #35 on the Billboard pop chart in 1983).

10 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You're right. She belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I once heard she slept on leather sheets. Not only am I no longer certain I heard that from a reputable source, but I've never been able to find leather sheets. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Could be interesting to try out.

Bar L. said...

I have a lot of respect for Joan and sadly I can't say that about too many female rockers. I used to try hard to acknowledge Rocker's B-days on my blog but have slacked off. Tomorrow is a special one :)

Malcolm said...

Susan: They should be announcing the nominees for possible induction with the 2008 class soon. It'll be interesting to see which artists do and don't make the list.

Joan sleeping on leather sheets... I can picture that. I wonder if she has them specially made.

Barbara: A few days ago I saw where "The Boss" turns 58 on Sunday. I just checked and found that you have a post up already. I'm going to check it out right now.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Her cover of Crimson and Clover by Tommy James is quite good. I remember listening to her when I was in ...erm..grade school.

Unknown said...

Great blog, Malcom :P I'll come back for more pop culture, in the meantime welcome to the Rock Vidz contest. All the comments there are awaiting moderation til the contest expires. Just so you know :)

Cheers,
Tina

Tina said...

Oh, and happy birthday to Joan Jett :P

Stealth said...

LOVE HER, LOVE HER, LOVE HER. She rocks my world.

Malcolm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Malcolm said...

The Mistress of the Dark: Her cover of "C & C" was pretty good. She is definitely on my list of acts that I want to eventually see in concert.

Tina: Thanks for stopping by... I look forward to many more visits by you.

Stealth: I enjoyed the video for "Bad Reputation" that you put on your blog to mark Joan's b-day. That is one of my favorite tunes by her.

pjazzypar said...

Joan Jett rocks! She deserves to be in the RRHOF without a doubt and I really hope she gets her shot. With an exception of a few the "Hall" really hasn't been that kind to women.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->