Sunday, September 30, 2007

Retro Commercial: The California Raisins

Today I am introducing a new feature where I'll dig up a classic commercial from back in the day. The first ad is from one of my favorite series of commercials of the 1980s... The California Raisins. Launched in 1987, the commercials were created to promote the California Raisin Advisory Board.

Didn't it seem like the Raisins were everywhere for awhile? Along with the commercials, there were TV specials, 3 studio albums, a Saturday morning cartoon show, and tons of merchandise. When I worked at Hardee's way back when, we offered California Raisins figurines as part of a promotion for our Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits. I can't remember if I gave the ones that I had to one of my nieces or what. I know if I have them and they turn up, I might be able to retire.

The commercial below is from 1988 and features the Claymation version of The Genius, Ray Charles (aka Raisin Ray). I hope it brings back some memories.

4 comments:

pjazzypar said...

Good find Malcolm. I hadn't thought about the "Raisins" in years. This new feature of yours offers endless possibilities. I look forward to the vintage commercials to come. Do you remember the Afro Sheen Commercial from the 70's? I was recently watching the film "Crooklyn" and heard the little ditty. It went something like this...Beautiful people use Afro Sheen.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, fab idea, Malcolm!

I loved the raisins. They rocked.

The Rock Chick said...

Yes, it does bring back memories!! WOW. I had forgotten how cool I thought the raisins were! LOL

Jessica

Malcolm said...

Pjazzy: I hadn't thought of them either until I came up with the idea for this feature. I vaguely remember the Afro Sheen commercials. If I saw them, it would probably all come back to me.

Susan: I have been salivating over the retro commercials that I came across on You Tube. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Jessica: Although Claymation wasn't new, it was something about the California Raisins that made it seem cool and fresh. Maybe it's because raisins are inanimate objects, I don't know. Whomever came up with the idea for the California Raisins is a genius.

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->