Sunday, September 30, 2007

Happy Birthday To Marilyn McCoo

On Sunday Sept. 30th, Marilyn McCoo celebrates her 64th birthday. Depending on your age, you probably associate her most with one of two things: her years as a member of The Fifth Dimension or her stint as the host of Solid Gold.

Marilyn was one of two female members of The Fifth Dimension. I almost feel sorry for the other female in the group (Florence LaRue). I say this because although Florence was pretty, she had nothing on the gorgeous Marilyn... husband Billy Davis Jr. is one lucky man.

After she and Billy left the Fifth Dimension, they had a successful career as a singing duo (highlighted by the #1 hit "You Don't Have To Be A Star"). As was customary with many recording acts in the 1970's, they even had their own summer replacement TV variety show.

Along with her hosting duties on "Solid Gold", Marilyn would also sing one of the top chart hits of the week on the show. Even back then I always thought it was funny to hear the smooth voice of Marilyn tackle such songs as "Only Time Will Tell" by the rock group Asia.

In recent years, Marilyn has continued her performing career (both solo and with husband Billy). Along with concert tours, Marilyn and Billy appeared in two episodes of "The Jamie Foxx Show" as the parents of Fancy Monroe (played by Garcelle Beauvaix). Even in her 60s, she is still as fine as ever!

Below is a clip of The Fifth Dimension performing their 1969 hit "Working On A Groovy Thing" on "The Ed Sullivan Show". I'm not even trying to be funny when I say this, but those are some sharp ass outfits they are wearing!



In the late 60s and early 70s, The Fifth Dimension were one of the most successful recording acts around. You might not know that if you listen to the oldies stations, who play the same few songs by the group over and over (no, I don't wanna let the sunshine in anymore). Below for your downloading pleasure are some of the other hits that the group had.

Blowing Away

California Soul

Go Where You Wanna Go

Save the Country

Sweet Blindness


10 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Didn't they do Aquarius? I never realized she was in 5th Dimension..I always associated her with Solid Gold

Malcolm said...

Hi Mistress: My comments in the last paragraph where I said "no, I don't wanna let the sunshine in anymore" was a reference to the Fifth Dimension's biggest hit "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In".

pjazzypar said...

I think you had to be kidding about those outfits. Great clip though! I was always fond of the group, especially Marilyn McCoo. They had a very extensive catalog of songs, unfortunately they are best known for "Aquarius" and "Up, Up, & Away". I loved such classics as "One Less Bell to Answer", "The Wedding Bell Blues", and "Stoned Soul Picnic", but my all time favorite is "Together Let's Find Love". I see you left the link to "California Soul" and for me, Marvin and Tammi killed that one. When I heard it by The Fifth Dimension I wasn't impressed.

I always felt that Ms. McCoo was a class act with a an abundance of talent for song delivery. Not as much flash as some of her counterparts in the 60's and 70's, but definitely a lot of substance. I almost forgot about her stint with Solid Gold when she replaced Dionne Warwick (a move that ruined her friendship with Ms. Warwick at the time). Be honest, didn't you ever think that she and Lamonte McLemore were a better couple?

Malcolm said...

Pjazzy: No seriously, I am really digging those outfits. The fringe vests, the safari style cowboy hats... ooh yeah!

I don't know why, but I was never crazy about Fifth Dimension songs like "Aquarius", "Up, Up, & Away", and "One Less Bell to Answer". I discovered some of their lesser known hits from the guy who hosted a weekend afternoon oldies show at the AM station where I worked. I will have to pull out their 2-CD set and give another listen to "Together Let's Find Love".

You are right about Marilyn McCoo being a class act. After I published my post, that was the one word that came to mind when I thought of her. I didn't know about the feud between her and Dionne. Thanks for passing that along. Although Lamonte and Marilyn looked to be a better match, I wasn't mad at Billy Davis Jr.

Tawnya Shields said...

I didn't know I shared my Birthday with Marilyn McCoo. Thanks for the Birthday greetings. :o)

Malcolm said...

Titania: You are quite welcome. I hope that your b-day was an enjoyable one.

Lori said...

Oh Malcolm,
Your "youthfulness" is finally starting to shine through (smile). Pjazzy is dead on it! "Aquarius", "Up, Up & Away" and "One Less Bell" were the JAMS! Especially, "One Less Bell." But you know, I totally forgot they did "Stone Soul Picnic." But I was a kid . . .

The hubby and I also totally forgot Marilynn and Billy were SOLID GOLD hosts. I think that's one of those shows we deliberately try to forget (LOL).

Malcolm said...

Lori: You think that Fifth Dimension tunes like "Aquarius" "Up Up and Away", and "One Less Bell..." were jams, but you aren't down with Foxy's "Hot Number"? :)
I don't know if it has anything to do with "youthfulness", but I have no interest in taking a ride in their "beautiful balloon". By the way, calling me "youthful" will earn you massive points in my book.
I wish that more stations would play their lesser known hits like the ones I listed at the end of the post.

Although Billy wasn't a Solid Gold host, he might have been a guest star on the show at one point in time. One of the guest appearances that he and Marilyn did that still sticks out to me is when they were in an episode of "The Love Boat". They played a couple who were old friends of Isaac. Their son was played by Todd Bridges! I haven't seen that episode in years, but it still sticks out.

Lori said...

Okay,
just to be clear, no disrespect was intended with the "youthfulness" wisecrack. Just a playful poke on behalf of those of us who grew up in the days of paisley, ascots, tie-dye, peace symbols, flower-power and the like (smile).

Now, step away from "my beautiful balloon" and take Foxy's "Hot Number" with ya!

Malcolm said...

Hi Lori: I didn't think you were being disrespectful with the "youthfulness" wisecrack. Anytime someone refers to my youth, it's all good. However, thanks for taking the time to make sure that I understood the intent of the wisecrack.

If I had a needle on me, I would use it to poke that "beautiful balloon" of yours. (smile)

 
Remarketing tags may not be associated with personally identifiable information or placed on pages related to sensitive categories. See more information and instructions on how to setup the tag on: http://google.com/ads/remarketingsetup --------------------------------------------------->